Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaximusPrime
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

Slow connection, Home Hub 5 stats look wrong

Go to solution

Hii,

my DSL dropped from 2.6 to 2.2 so I upgraded to BT Faster broadband - FTTC, 2.8km copper to my house.

Eestimated speeds of 5-9Mb but getting under 5Mb.

Home Hub 5 stats:

4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:3 days, 02:03:10
6. Data rate:1185 / 4627
7. Maximum data rate:1181 / 4108
8. Noise margin:6.4 / 8.0
9. Line attenuation:18.5 / 39.8
10. Signal attenuation:18.5 / 32.2

1. My Data Rate is higher than my Maximum Data Rate which is strange.

2. My downstream noise margin is higher than my upstream, should be the other way around?

3. My downstream noise margin seems to be high, I'd expect it to be close to 6db?

Broadband Availability stats:

asd.png

According to the Speed v Attenuation graph here: http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/graph-ADSL-speed-versus-line-loss-distance I should be getting under 10Mb for my Line Attenuation of 39.8db.

Any ideas of what's going on?

cheers

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Slow connection, Home Hub 5 stats look wrong

Go to solution

your connection speed is just below the estimated minimum of 4.7mb but if you could get noise margin down to 6db then that should increase your speed to within estimate

was it self install?  if so are you using the test socket with a new filter?  if not can you try test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
MaximusPrime
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi ,

an Engineer isntalled, fitted an MK3 Openreach faceplate, tested the line, all clear, he said he would have expected a bit more speed from the line as well. Only installed Wednesday past.

Monitoring the downstream noise margin since install I can see it is aiming for a constant 9db, it dropped to 8db yesterday for a while. When it drops the speed drops to try & increase the noise margin back to 9db.

BT default target noise margin is 6db is it not? Can I ring BT & ask them to reset my target noise margin to 6db?

cheers

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

line resets are done but engineer visit is required - not like adsl where mods could instigate the change

your noise margin may fluctuate as will your attainable speed but your connection spee should remain constant unless your router drops connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
MaximusPrime
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

OK, cheers, the Engineer goes to the cabinet not to my house though?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

no you would need an engineer visit to your home for a line/connection problem and he could then if broadband engineer arrange a line reset  you will not get an engineer visit for just a reset

MaximusPrime
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

I rang them, customer support tried to fob me off saying I am getting "around" 5Mb so it's OK, I said it wasn't.

He's going to ring back on Wednesday to see if the probem still exists.

Do you reckon my downstream noise margin will come down to 6db from 9db automatically or is it locked?

Any advice on how to get an engineer out to lower the margin if it doesn't come down itself?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

if your connection is stable 24/7 and there is no line noise then the DLM will reduce noise margin down to normal 6db but that could take a few weeks

you would need to have a line fault to get broadband engineer and then he may reset your conenction  however if no fault found then you may well get charged the £129.99 callout fee

MaximusPrime
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Ok, cheers for the info, have to wait a month then probably 😞

0 Ratings
MaximusPrime
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution