Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Slow connection, Infinity 2 capped?

Hi.

Really need some help, my speed is rubbish and has been for ages, every time i speak with tech support overseas i get the same old rubbish, no faults your broadband is fine etc etc. my router connection is always exactly 20.0mbps and upload of 1.18 no matter what happens with the router(smart hub), i used to get around 23mbps and 1.3 up

I am exactly 1km from the cabinet, internal wiring is new straight from the socket(the only one in the house) to the incoming connection box, the BT cabling is all underground from the cabinet to the inside of the house.

ADSL details 22.10.17.jpg

Oh and all the tests i have done are with the router wifi switched off and my only laptop which is clean connected by ethernet.

help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Slow connection, Infinity 2 capped?

Your connection from speeds you quote are within estimate and noyhing bt will do

Post the stats from your hub please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

As you are syncing at above the minimum speed for your line you will not get an engineer visit, its possible DLM has capped your line if you have been making multiple connections/disconnections. I would be extremely surprised if you can tell the difference between 20M and 23M in the real world.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

You really don't need to be on Infinity 2. Infinity 1 will do & be cheaper.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ62196631

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B316

Firmware updated:

08-Oct-2017

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

4 Days, 8 Hours 25 Minutes 42 Seconds

Data rate:

1.19 Mbps / 20.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

1189 / 21449

Noise margin:

5.9 dB / 5 dB

Line attenuation:

30.3 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

93984 MB Uploaded / 53058 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-T3XC

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-T3XC-5

5 GHz wireless channel:

Channel 44

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

90:4D:4A:15:59:B7

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

And as for getting 20 meg at my machine i dont, i get about 17, if that is classed as superfast broadband lol and i know what you will say about the difference at the hub and my machine, even if i connect via ethernet the speed reads the same, i am 10 feet direct line of sight from my router when on wifi so it is not that either
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

As has been pointed out, your connection speed is within the estimated range for your line.

See link about guaranteed connection speed.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35296/~/your-line-speed-explained

Just because you have Infinity 2 does not mean you will get the maximum speed for Infinity 2.You will only get the maximum speed that your line can support.

One of the main things that affects the connection speed you will get is the distance you are from the fibre cabinet. You have stated that you are 1km from the cabinet. If you have a look at the following graph, which is for a perfect line in perfect conditions with no joins or age, you will see that you are more or less getting the connection speed for a 1km line.

As has also been pointed out, there is no point in you being on Infinity 2 as you will get no where near the speeds for that product due to the distance you are from the cabinet. You would be better to "downgrade" to Infinity 1 and save your self some money.

See graph for speed over distance.

FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png

Out of interest, did you do an estimated speed check before you opted to go for the Infinity 2 package or did you just assume you would get the maximum speed?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

The 20 Meg that the router reports is the raw BB sync/connection speed, which is what EE & BT are estimating.

The 17 Meg you see at your PC is your throughput of the actual data & is always less than the sync speed (by round about 10%) as the sync speed includes packet overheads above the actual data.

You have fairly long line from the cab. & are never going to get superfast fibre speeds but you are getting well within the estimates for your line.