On the 17/04/2012 my infinity connection was upgraded to the upto 80 Mb/s connection (ordered around the 14th) before the upgrade I was getting a download speed of 37Mb/s, from the day the upgrade took place till today I am now only getting a speed between 8-9Mb/s (both up and down, in fact the up speed is normally the higher of the two).
I have run speed tests on several sites including the two BT speed tests (old and beta) and all give the same results.
I have run speed tests on several different machines with the same results (obviously I am only allowing access to one machine while testing).
I am using a wired connection to the home hub.
I have tried powering down and restarting both the home hub and the infinity modem
And I have tried the "technical" support number:
I have been on the phone to support 3 times now over the last 3 weeks and each time after about half hour I have just been told to wait a few more days to see if the problem resolves itself. I understand about the need for a 10 days stabilisation period and can understand the reluctance for BT to spend too much time on an issue in this period however I think it was clear that my speeds were not low due to stabilisation (not one that is working anyway) and there was another technical issue that could have been investigated earlier.
I have called after the stabilisation period as well and still not been able to progress an issue over the phone. The people I have been talking to are clearly not trained to be technical support or even willing to pass me onto someone that is. One person didn't even know what a CAT5 cable was and would only ask about the 'yellow cable'. I have been told that to progress my issue I would need to be transferred to the at home IT support team that is a chargeable service, this is obviously not going to happen.
I would just like my speed to be at reasonable service and faster than before (not expecting the full speed) an upgrade and feel that BT is completely unwilling to help me with my issues. At worst case I would be happy to revert my connection to what it was before this 'upgrade'.
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
|0 Mbps||76.3 Mbps|
Max Achievable Speed
| Download speedachieved during the test was - 6 Mbps|
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-76.3 Mbps .
IP Profile for your line is - 76.3 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
|0 Mbps||20 Mbps|
Max Achievable Speed
|Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8.71Mbps|
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Down : 7161
Can't remember the exact estimate but think it was around 65 Mb/s
I would ring up tech support(0800 111 4567), possibly ask for a replacement hub and modem and see if they will send out an engineer as your download speeds are not within the acceptable range either.
Will try that number again but will be the 4th time talking with them so not holding my breath with them doing anything but will let you know how I get on.
Hey guys thanks for the help. I was connected over a wired connection before however while I was just playing with the connections and disconnecting the home hub from the modem and re connecting it seems to have finaly sorted itself out. Speed tests now ranging from 60-70 Mb/s on the BBMax site.