Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sopisue75
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 31

Slow connection from network to hub - from BT speedtest

Go to solution

Hi, I'm a first time poster so hello 🙂  I'll try to be as comprehensive as possible without going on too much and hope that I can get some help.

Background:  Possiblt naively I signed up for Infinity 2 before the 52mps was available to all infinity 1 (over a year ago I believe).  The ADSL checker at the time indicated speeds up to 60/65 from memory.  We don't have problems with connection dropping and the speed is usualy fairly consistent at about 40 d/l and 17 u/l.  I didn't really bother about it until now and contacted BT to ask if i could go back to infinity 1 as speed wasn't up to infinty 2 standard.  I was told I'd need to wait until I was out of contract.  Fair enough.

Recent:  I looked at the speed on HH6 after viewing some of the threads on here and undertook a performance test.  These are the screen shots of the reults:BT 1.jpeg

BT 2.jpeg

This indicates a slow connection between the network and hub.  When I said check home set up it asked whick socket we had and it's this one:socket.jpg

Because it was this type of socket I had to get in touch with BT.  I did this via live chat and after much testing, checking etc I was advised there was a fault outside of my property and given a date by which it would resolved.

I had a text yesterday from BT advising said fault was fixed.  

Today:  Speed is still the same so I undertook a further perfromace test which was exactly as above.  I then went on Openreach speed test and here are the results from that:

BTb.jpegBTc.jpegBTd.jpeg

I was unable to do a further test as i don't know how to change to username 😞  It does seem to indicate there is still a fault.

This is the information from ADSL checker for my phone number and also from my HH6:BTe.jpegBT.jpgBTa.jpg

I'm so sorry that this is a long post and thank you for taing the time to read it (if you have). I'll be so grateful if anyone could please advise me what to do next.

Sue

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 31

Re: Slow connection from network to hub - from BT speedtest

Go to solution

your down noise margin is high as normal is about 6db.. if noise margin goes back to normal then your down conenction speed will move closer to your attainable speed

have you noticed the router dropping connection often or have you been resetting router to try and improve speed or maybe a combination of both?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
sopisue75
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 31

Go to solution

Hi there, thanks for your response.  We haven't noticed connections dropping and I've only restarted the router twice or 3 times over the past few days as advised by BT during the speed tests. The quiet line test isn't awful however there is some noise both with corded and cordless handsets. 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 31

Go to solution

if you can hear noise on quiet line test then report a phone fault (not Broadband) to 151   get phone fixed and broadband will improve

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
sopisue75
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 31

Go to solution

This is what I did last week and they have come back saying it's fixed and closed the fault.  I have just replied to their text message saying quiet line is noisy and see what happens.  Thanks again

0 Ratings
sopisue75
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 31

Go to solution

Interestingly I've just logged onto MY BT and there is an open fault:

Open fault

DescriptionBroadband-BB Connection
ReferenceVOL053-065172022xxxx
Fault Reported14-Nov-2017

however when I select view it returns this:

Open faults

There are no open faults against this account

Closed faults
Product Problem Reference Date raised Action
Broadband Slow Connection VOL053-xxxxxxxxxxx 08 Nov 2017  
Landline Slow Connection VOL051-xxxxxxxxxxx 08 Nov 2017

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 31

Go to solution

often when reporting the fault to 151 you have to be insistent and persistent that you have noise on your line from test socket and need engineer visit

0 Ratings
sopisue75
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 31

Go to solution

Yes thanks I will do that when I contact BT again - I have to summon the will to do so 🙂  The interesting thing is that the open fault is a differeent reference and I haven't reported a fault today.  The faults I reported on 8 Novemeber are closed and this new one has just appeare on the MY BT dashboard.  I'll see what and if anything happens.  🙂

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 31

Go to solution

ok  if no progress then post back and we can see what can be done next

sopisue75
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 31

Go to solution
Update: I was still unable to track the fault so went on live chat and the agent confirmed I wasn't getting promised speed. After a little checking, resetting etc she has booked an engineer for 21 Nov so fingers crossed.
0 Ratings