Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dedline
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Slow connection speed

Hi,

My router line status is attached below. Can anyone advise why the line speed is so slow. I live very close to the Vauxhall exchange in London which I would have thought should have a fast speed?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:56:03
Downstream: 5.125 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.1 dB / 16.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 32.2 dB / 18.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.9 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 3 / 127
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 2 / 0

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Slow connection speed

can you please run btspeedtester and post the results

is there a reason why your connection time is < 1hr?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dedline
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

@imjolly wrote:

can you please run btspeedtester and post the results

is there a reason why your connection time is < 1hr?

Hi,

The connection time is low because the line has just been reset to reduce the Noise Margin from 10db to 6db - however this has only increased the speed from 4MB to 5MB. It seems there's a more fundamental reason why the speeds so slow.

Speed test results are as follows :-

Download speed achieved during the test was - 3935 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :5248 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 4500 Kbps

Thanks,

Greg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

you are about 2.4km line length from the exchange and on a good line with no noise problems I would expect about 7.5mb connection.

have you tried connecting to the test socket to see if that helps as that is your direct connection to the exchange?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dedline
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Yes, it makes virtually no difference. The line is a brand new install when I switched to BT.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

if you have no extension sockets in your home then using the test socket should make no difference.  your stats look ok just I would have expected a faster connection but your noise margin is ok suggesting there is no noise problem

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 12

Looking at your exchange, you have availability for BT Infinity as well as ADSL2+, your currently on ADSL max, I would've thought that as its a new connection you would have been put on to ADSL2+? Imjolly?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

unless like a lot of london exchanges they are close to full so there may not have been and 21CN connections but I agree there is no harm in asking as it would really increase speed.  if infinity also available then I know what I would do - infinity for me

0 Ratings
dedline
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Hi,

By 21CN I assume you mean BT's new network that offers ADSL2+. I was told that even without this there were both 8MB and 20MB transit for standard ADSL. Could you confirm if this makes sense. I was wondering what transit speeds are available through BT since they advertise 20MB?

Thanks,

Greg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

adslmax is up to 8mb and 21CN which is adsl2+ is up to 20mb.  infinity is up to 40mb

0 Ratings