Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greyscout
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Slow copper wire broadband

Hi all
Been in our property for 6 years, we are not in a fibre broadband area. When we first moved in, the broadband was tolerable, we got around 800kbps.
About a year ago the bb just disappeared - assumed it was a fault and called BT. As we never use our landline I couldn't remember what our number was so i rang my mobile from the landline to get it on the screen. When I called them they told me the number I had given them wasn't the number associated with my account. So it was clear to me we had a crossed line somehow, one that presumably didn't have broadband. Eventually found the right number on some paperwork and gave them the right number. They confirmed that the number I was calling them from was NOT my landline number - yet I was stood in my own house !! They did a line test and said there was nothing wrong and confirmed the bb was working, they told me it was likely to be my socket or the hub. I eventually after45 mins or painful explanation managed to convince them my line had been crossed with someone elses's.
Engineer attended the next day and confirmed my suspicion and went off to put the fault right. I immediately noticed that our broadband had dropped to below 300kbps and asked why.
He then told me that we were not connected to the nearest PCP which was at the end of our road, instead we were connected to one several miles away and this was why our broadband was so slow but after10 days we would see an improvement to get us back near what we had.
Well it never got any better.
Had openreach engineer out again and he also told me the only way to improve things was to get our connection moved to the nearer PCP.
Well I have been asking for this to happen now but as you can't get through to speak toanyone with any technical knowledge I just get fobbed off with line checks which tell me I am getting 1.2 kbps (I wish!!! ).

So my question to the wise is :-
Is there any way to get Openreach to move me to the PCP at the end of my road ?
If I cancel with BT and pay for a new connection with another provider - would they be able to connect me to the closer PCP ?
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Slow copper wire broadband

it is your distance from the exchange that matters the PCP distance has no effect on copper broad band only on fibre services

No Openreach will not move you to another PCP like wise if you change providers the new provider will just use your existing line the Openreach network is bespoke and would cost thousands to move line to another cabinet even if it was possible the Openreach engineer was talking nonsense I am afraid
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

if using the hub 6 locate the information page in the hubs advanced settings and post the results back

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Router Stats
The information contained within your router management pages can really help others diagnose technical issues. To post these stats, open up a web browser and type 192.168.1.254 or BThomehub.home. Navigate to the 'Troubleshooting' Tab and then click on 'Helpdesk', you will then need to enter the admin password which can be found on the sticker on the back of BT Home Hub 4 and 5. BT Home hub 3 will have the sticker on the underside of the router.

When using a Hub 3, you will see an option at the bottom right hand corner to select 'full details'. click on this, copy the info displayed and post the results. If using a BT Home Hub 4 or 5 navigate to 'Troubleshooting' then to 'Logs'. You will then find two lines which will state 'DSL noise margin' and 'DSL line rate', copy this info and include this in your post.

There is a video on our BTCare YouTube channel that will show this process in action, please see, Finding your connection stats on the BT Home Hub 3, 4 and 5.
0 Ratings
Greyscout
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks John - does it make a difference that the PCP at the topof the road has fibre to it but the one I am connected doesn't ?
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

it make no difference at all as fibre is a totally different product you can completely forget about PCP's when on copper broadband as it is the distance from the exchange that controls the speed the distance from the PCP only refers to fibre
0 Ratings