Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OddJob
Contributor
Message 21 of 32

Re: Slow down in May?

Go to solution

Thanks Webby but that doesn't really help or explain the 25% drop in speed since early May.

I've tried by-passing my internal wiring with new cabling and asdl filter to no avail and this evening came back to my desktop to find the modem flashing orange without having been touched for hours. After a restart it went through usual flashing green before steady blue.

On checking the log I found the following:-

23:48:04, 03 Jun. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=14333Kbps, Up Rate=1276Kbps; SNR Margin Down=5.7dB, Up=7.2dB

23:47:23, 03 Jun. DSL Link Down: duration was 25 seconds

23:46:59, 03 Jun. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=17305Kbps, Up Rate=1114Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.1dB, Up=6.8dB  ****

23:37:20, 03 Jun. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=576Kbps, Up Rate=288Kbps; SNR Margin Down=35.5dB, Up=31.0dB

14:45:58, 03 Jun. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=14333Kbps, Up Rate=1265Kbps; SNR Margin Down=5.8dB, Up=6.5dB

.....together with numerous entries for 01 Jan???   Note the entry I've marked with asterisks.

Just to add to frustration I've just lost internet again (power light flashing orange and now steady orange with broadband light flashing red)

Any idea what's going on?

OddJob

0 Ratings
OddJob
Contributor
Message 22 of 32

Go to solution

Hi All,

Well, I'm still living in hope although helpful responses seem to have dried up!  Unfortunately I'm deaf so lengthy telephone calls aren't an option but the same sort of problem was resolved last time about a year ago, so as I say, I live in hope.

Anyone have any thoughts on those log entries and my flshing lights?

Regards

OddJob 

0 Ratings
neitherspanish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 32

Go to solution
Also, the IP Profile has dropped three times in about three years so this isn't a frequent problem.
0 Ratings
neitherspanish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 32

Go to solution

Sorry to repeat this but for some reason my post from yesterday, 5th June has disappeared from the forum. I'm posting on this topic "Slow down in May" as the others posting on this thread all seem to be reporting the same issue. In my own case, I was away when the line speed degraded and unusually the upload has degraded. Both upload and download have dropped by 25%. I thought this was due to the IP Profile as the speeds I see match the IP Profile on the line as reported by the BT Wholesale checker.

I got the impression from the reply I received that the IP Profile could be reset but this would not help, however, I'm willing to try this out. If it makes no difference then fine, I'll give up on BT and use a 4G connection. However, I suspect it will make a difference as it has done before.

So can I get the IP Profile reset even if this is viewed as futile.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 32

Go to solution
Your own thread has been created.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 26 of 32

Go to solution

Hi @neitherspanish,

Your post was moved to a thread of your own to avoid any confusion between your issue and the OP of this thread's.

To find your own thread, go to the following page: Both upload and download speeds have dropped

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
OddJob
Contributor
Message 27 of 32

Go to solution

Hi All,

I seem to have got lost in the melee somehow! 

Does anyone have any views on my previous post and the fact that, although everything has been stable for the last few days, I'm still at 14334/1265 connection with 5.8/6.5 SNR.  Also I'm seeing log entries as though adjustments are being attempted:-

eg CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 2 PERIODIC  & code 4 Value Change

but I don't know if these are normal and routine?

Hope someone can help me get back to the 15+ download and 1+ upload speeds that were stable until May this year.

Regards

OddJob

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 32

Go to solution

@OddJob wrote:

Hi All,

I seem to have got lost in the melee somehow! 

Does anyone have any views on my previous post and the fact that, although everything has been stable for the last few days, I'm still at 14334/1265 connection with 5.8/6.5 SNR.  Also I'm seeing log entries as though adjustments are being attempted:-  as you are at the default setting for noise margin nothing is likely to improve further

eg CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 2 PERIODIC  & code 4 Value Change  perfectly normal just the hub connecting with the update server 

but I don't know if these are normal and routine?

Hope someone can help me get back to the 15+ download and 1+ upload speeds that were stable until May this year.

Regards

OddJob

OddJob
Contributor
Message 29 of 32

Go to solution
Thanks for the response John, I guess I'll just have to wait until it gets worse or better! I won't mark as solved cos' it ain't!

Regards
OddJob
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 32

Go to solution
line conditions change over time so do connection speeds your package is an UP to speed it does not mean it will always stay the same it can and will vary there is nothing any one can do to give you a faster speed