Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 32

Slow down in May?

Go to solution

Hi,

My ADSL speeds have dropped considerably in the last few weeks and I wonder if they have been capped by BT?

I was getting 15.23 - 15.75 mbps download and 1.00 - 1.05 mbps upload with 35 - 44 ms ping regularly with the same set up (HH5) as I still have. This month it has dropped to 9.16 - 11.17 and 0.55 - 0.86 still with 35 - 44 ping.

My diagnostics are:-

Hub 5 Log

10:16:57, 17 May. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=14331Kbps, Up Rate=1276Kbps; SNR Margin Down=5.4dB, Up=7.5dB

Waited a couple of weeks but still slow with BT Test showing 12.27, 1.08 @ 25.50ping

Quiet line test is quiet.  I'm on Birkdale 21 cabinet.

I wonder if someone could check?  

Regards

OddJob 

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 32

Re: Slow down in May?

Go to solution
Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 32

Go to solution

Hi John46,

Thanks for your reply. As you can see form my original post I've already done the quiet line test, I'm on a Hub 5 with results as detailed.

Here are the other results which I had already done and have checked again recently:-

BT Diagnostic.pngBTADSL.png

Hope these give some ideas.

Regards

OddJob

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 32

Go to solution
can you please post the helpdesk page from your hub5
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 32

Go to solution

Hi again John,  Thanks again for your input. Here's the helpdesk page:-

Helpdesk.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 32

Go to solution
Are you connected to the master socket or an extension?

Either way, your connection is still within the expected range of speeds for your line.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 32

Go to solution

Hi Webby,  It's all the same as it has been for 18 months so why has my download slowed???

I have consistently had 15.0+ mbps and now only get 11 or 12!  I had this once before a couple of years ago and had been capped.  BT adjusted and presto, I was back to 15+.

I don't want to go through the chat-lines as you go around in circles but I hope someone can help.

Thanks anyway.

Regards

OddJob 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 32

Go to solution

Hi again John46,

I've just read one of your replies to "Aglet" which gave excellent details of how BT's Dynamic attenuation works.  I note that his Hub 5A Helpdesk page shows Noise Margin, Line Attenuation and Signal Attenuation which do not show on my 5B.  Is there any way I can obtain those figures on my router?

Speeds still slower than I've had for the last 18 months. Have I provided enough information now?

Regards

OddJob  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 32

Go to solution
Your line hasn't been capped.

SNR margin may have increased due to a line issue or some external interference but without knowing what your previous, and current SNR values are, it's impossible to say.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 32

Go to solution

Thanks Webby,  I could rip out my internal wiring and replace along with the ASDL filter but I've been here before, turning the place inside out, and it turned out to be BT !!!

I've noticed that my Hub5 has occasionally lost connection and flashed orange (usually at the most inconvenient time) and I wonder if it's engineers working on the cabinet or at the exchange.

Do you know if I can get the Noise Margin and Attenuation figures on my HUb 5 Type B?

Thanks again for your help

Regards

OddJob

0 Ratings