Go to solution
You have already posted your noise margin figure from the hub logs
OddJob
Contributor
Message 12 of 32

Re: Slow down in May?

Go to solution

Hi John46,

Of course, and I'll check back through the logs to see if it has deteriorated and post findings for the sake of completion. I still can't see the line or signal attenuation though, or is that no longer available?

Thanks again.

Regards

OddJob 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 32

Go to solution
not available on the hub 5 B
OddJob
Contributor
Message 14 of 32

Go to solution

Hi,

Checked back on the Hub 5 log and Noise margin records are in range 5.2 - 6.1 / 6.4 - 7.5 which I believe are acceptable. Only trouble is the log only records those stat's for a week or so and therefore I can't get back to before the slowdown.

Only significant problems I can see in the log are occasional NTP Sync' failures, but that presumably wouldn't impact speed?

One other factor that may be relevant is that I'm using my Hub 4 as a slave to extend wi-fi coverage but again can't see why that would impact speed on the Hub 5.

Driving me nuts! Is there anything else I can try or do I have to settle for 11 mbps now?

Thanks again for your help.

OddJob

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 32

Go to solution
your hub I connecting at 14.7Mbps which is well in spec nd your noise margin is around its default there is nothing you can do
OddJob
Contributor
Message 16 of 32

Go to solution

Hi John46,

Well, I hate unexplained changes!  11/01/17 = 15.75 down 1.03 up 48ms

01/02/17 = 15.74 down 1.04 up 44ms

16/05/17 = 11.27 down 0.86 up 39ms

29/05/17 = 12.27 down 1.08 up 25ms

That's a 25% drop in speed with no changes at my end !!!!

Can I ask where you got the 14.7mbps you refer to?  Best I've seen since I started this thread is 12.85.

Hey-ho the joys of BT Broadband!!!

Many thanks anyway for your input.

Regards

OddJob 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 32

Go to solution
speeds quoted are your connection speed from the exchange to your hub and are shown in your hub stats download speeds will vary constantly dependent on general internet activity

the speeds quoted by BT and other service providers when you place an order is the connection speed not the download speed
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 32

Go to solution
my error 14.3 Mbps not 14.7
OddJob
Contributor
Message 19 of 32

Go to solution

Hi John46,

Thanks for the explanation, though previously I had very consistent download speeds for many months, 15.28, 15.75, 15.23,15.43, 15.74 so something has changed!!! These 5 readings cover Sept 16 through to Feb 17 and I only became conscious of slower performance in May.

Regards

OddJob

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 32

Go to solution
Regardless, your line is still working within the expected range of speeds.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings