cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 28

Re: Slow download, questions about BT Wholesale speed tester.

Thanks Webby but the engineer is coming on Monday anyway....now really regretting leaving Virginmedia.

I did not believe the stories about BT's service being so bad, more the fool me, only got the service about 5/6 weeks ago and here I am with an unusable service with DNS errors, time outs and speeds that are fluctuating from 2/3 mbs to 30 mbs every few seconds. They also got my first bill totally wrong, which took me hours on the phone to correct.

I called BT again a few minutes ago, they would not offer me an earlier engineers visit and could not even confirm that an engineer would definately fix the fault next Monday either.....is this par for the course with BT?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 28

Bear in mind, if the problem proves to be due to your internal phone wiring, you will be charged £130. That is why you need to leave it connected to the test socket for a couple of days to see if the problem is still there.

If its not, then you have a problem with your own wiring, which you will need to sort out. Forum members can assist with this, and it will save you money.

The fact that your maximum connection rate was very high when you were connected to the test socket, would point to an issue within your home wiring.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 28

Thanks for the reply Keith.

This was all installed, including a new line from the nearest telegraph pole on the 30th Jan 2017, everything was new including the socket and filter. I only have one socket, it only has as the router and one phone line attached, which the engineer installed.

I have changed absolutely nothing, so what could be wrong with my home wiring that I could check or change?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 28

Is it a socket like this?

newnte.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 28

No Keith, it just has one socket on the front. Master socket 5c. I've been unclipping the front lower section. Just plugged it back in there and got a test result of

228mbs download with max capable of 60mbs

8mbs upload max capable 20mbs

0.0 ping

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 28

Somethin doesn't appear right. Wait for the engineer visit
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 28

Thanks for trying gents....the only thing that helped was turning my phone into a mobile hotspot and using that as my internet connectionMan Frustrated. This obviously does not help the rest of my family but at least I can browse without being disconnected every few seconds.

Worst thing is, it was my decision to try BT broadband. My wife just talked to a friend who said she wished we'd mentioned it to her first as she would have told us not to touch BT with a ten foot pole!

The expression 'the grass is always greener' comes to mind!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 28

It looks likely to be a line issue, so this would have occured with whichever ISP you tried (other than Virgin).

On the opposite side, I've been a BT customer for 11 years and never had 1 fault.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings