cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Slow download speed after disconnects

On the 21st/22nd January, my router would keep dropping its connection.  It would flash orange, go blue for about 30 seconds and then flash orange again.  It stayed connected on the afternoon of the 22nd but downloads were really slow, and then started disconnecting again all afternoon/evening of the 27th.

Since then, the connection has been fine as far as I know but my download speed is really slow, around 200Kbps when I used to get around 2 megabytes a second.

I have a BT Home Hub 5.  I wasn't sure about the dsl rates but found this in the log:

Down Rate=2271Kbps, Up Rate=1072Kbps; SNR Margin Down= 21.3dB, Up=7.8dB

The speed test had the following results:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.96Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2Mbps

IP profile for your line is - 2Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.88Mbps

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83Mbps

From reading around, I'm guessing this has something to do with DLM restricting the downloads due to the constant disconnects and that, in a few more days, I should hopefully see some improvement.  Can anyone confirm this or help?

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 2

Re: Slow download speed after disconnects

you are correct in the you are now in a banded profile due to all the disconnections and if you can now maintain a stable connection then the banding will start to release with noise margin reducing and speed increasing

https://www.plus.net/help/archive/broadband/broadband-terminology-guide/?supportarchive

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone  any noise is a probalem for your broadband and you would need to report a phone fault to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings