Got a really odd problem and seek some advice.
I'm on infinity 2 and get great speed. Line sync and downloads at 76Mbps.
Starting last night my download speeds from www.github.com slowed down to a crawl. All other sites were their usual past speed - this only effected github.com so I thought it must be an issue with github.
This morning the problem still exists. github report no issue. If I try and download the file from home I get a max of 40Kbps from github. (Again download speeds to other sites are fine)
However if download a file via ninjaproxy to https://github.com/zoul/Finch/archive/master.zip
I get it coming in at 70Mbps. Also downloading the via on a VM server in America and I get full speed.
This seems to point to a issue from BT to github. Could it be its being throttled?
I've tried restarting my router anyway - made no difference.
The latency to github.com from home is also good.
PING github.com (18.104.22.168) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from 22.214.171.124: icmp_seq=1 ttl=52 time=96.4 ms 64 bytes from 126.96.36.199: icmp_seq=2 ttl=52 time=96.4 ms 64 bytes from 188.8.131.52: icmp_seq=3 ttl=52 time=96.3 ms 64 bytes from 184.108.40.206: icmp_seq=4 ttl=52 time=96.2 ms
If anyone else tries to download this file what speeds do you get?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Perhaps congestion on the path your traffic takes to Github. I see similar ping RTT, but ~23Mbps download:
smf22@lampu:~$ ping -c3 github.com PING github.com (220.127.116.11) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from 18.104.22.168: icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=97.4 ms 64 bytes from 22.214.171.124: icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=97.4 ms 64 bytes from 126.96.36.199: icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=97.1 ms --- github.com ping statistics --- 3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2001ms rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 97.195/97.363/97.485/0.122 ms smf22@lampu:~$ wget -O /dev/null --report-speed=bits https://github.com/zoul/Finch/archive/master.zip --2016-09-03 10:08:26-- https://github.com/zoul/Finch/archive/master.zip Resolving github.com (github.com)... 188.8.131.52 Connecting to github.com (github.com)|184.108.40.206|:443... connected. [snip]
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK Length: 3749606 (3.6M) [application/zip] Saving to: ‘/dev/null’ /dev/null 100%[===========================================>] 3.58M 23.3Mb/s in 1.3s 2016-09-03 10:08:28 (23.3 Mb/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [3749606/3749606]
Thanks for the feedback. Must be a peering link issue somewhere. Will just wait till it fixes itself.
Seeing exactly the same - really slow (40KB/s-50KB/s) downloads on a 20Mbps ADSL connection (South London).
The only site I have a problem with is github.com, and other users of github I've spoken with (via Slack etc., and they're not in the UK) don't have any problems accessing github.com. No other sites I use appears to be affected.
This has been a problem since 2 September. I've tested with speednet and I'm getting the expected download speed of about 17-18Mbps. I monitor my line with MRTG and don't see any changes in sync or other variables (power, SNR etc.) that could explain this. So it must be an issue between BT and Github.
$ wget https://github.com/xbmc/FFmpeg/archive/3.1.3-Krypton-Beta3.tar.gz --2016-09-03 11:14:16-- https://github.com/xbmc/FFmpeg/archive/3.1.3-Krypton-Beta3.tar.gz Resolving github.com (github.com)... 220.127.116.11 Connecting to github.com (github.com)|18.104.22.168|:443... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found Location: https://codeload.github.com/xbmc/FFmpeg/tar.gz/3.1.3-Krypton-Beta3 [following] --2016-09-03 11:14:17-- https://codeload.github.com/xbmc/FFmpeg/tar.gz/3.1.3-Krypton-Beta3 Resolving codeload.github.com (codeload.github.com)... 22.214.171.124 Connecting to codeload.github.com (codeload.github.com)|126.96.36.199|:443... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK Length: 11169849 (11M) [application/x-gzip] Saving to: '3.1.3-Krypton-Beta3.tar.gz' 3.1.3-Krypton-Beta3.tar.gz 5%[=> ] 625.16K 39.6KB/s eta 3m 31s
Normally I would expect to download at about 2MB/s. Same poor performance when cloning a repo or pushing updates which makes using git/github rather painful... hope it fixes itself soon.
Signed up to add a +1 here - I'm seeing exactly the same issues with GitHub - I have BT Infinity and am located on the Surrey/Hampshire border.
3.1.3-Krypton-Beta3.tar.gz 10%[=========> ] 1.15M 20.8KB/s eta 12m 40s
My connection seems sluggish in general, but GitHub is the worst affected by a country mile.
Still having problems. For what its worth I've logged a call with github.
They've asked me to run a few tests so hopefully someone magically fixes the issue soon but I suspect its a BT issue.
1033109 bytes downloaded from github.com at 0.30 Mbps
1033109 bytes downloaded from githubusercontent.com at 4.87 Mbps
Hmm, seems a lot faster for me this morning:
wget --report-speed=bits https://github.com/xbmc/FFmpeg/archive/3.1.3-Krypton-Beta3.tar.gz
3.1.3-Krypton-Beta3.tar.gz 100%[==========================================================>] 10.65M 35.6Mb/s in 2.5s
2016-09-05 08:11:11 (35.6 Mb/s) - '3.1.3-Krypton-Beta3.tar.gz' saved [11169849/11169849]
and from jnewland.github.io:
1033109 bytes downloaded from github.com at 22.46 Mbps
1033109 bytes downloaded from githubusercontent.com at 4.03 Mbps
I'll keep an eye out in case this is just an issue at peak time, but perhaps someone has "magically fixed" it!
Still getting less than 50KB/s on a 20Mbps ADSL, ie. less than 2% of my expected download performance.
3.1.3-Krypton-Beta3.tar.gz.1 4%[=> ] 526.10K 32.1KB/s eta 4m 19s
1033109 bytes downloaded from github.com at 0.19 Mbps 1033109 bytes downloaded from githubusercontent.com at 3.62 Mbps
Still dead for me - just tested.
1033109 bytes downloaded from github.com at 0.26 Mbps 1033109 bytes downloaded from githubusercontent.com at 4.59 Mbps
source.tar <=> ] 43.02M 35.0KB/s