cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SiwynThona
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Slow downs and Disconnects

Hey guys. Really hoping somebody might be able to offer some advice or support here, because I've pretty much exhausted all options I can think of at this point.

BAsically, we've been with BT for about six years now, and in general the service has always been good. In the last couple of months, however, to say our quality of broadband has been dreadful would be a serious understatement.

It's not a constant thing, which makes it very hard to diagnose, but our wireless frequently experiences slowdowns to 0.01mbps, with timeouts on websites, and at times complete disconnection of the service. At other times it runs at a decent speed, of up to 32mbps, so I don't think it's to do with the quality of our line. There seems to be no pattern to this, as it happen any time, day or night, any days of the week. At worst it has made the internet practically unusable for days at a time. Yet at other times it has been steady for 48 hours without incident. This has been going on for about three months now, and is getting seriously frustrating.

We cannot watch anything that requires streaming without multiple timeouts. Online gaming has pretty much become a thing of the past. Even small downloads can take hours to complete, if they are completed at all. Something as simple as checking a bank account online can take upwards of an hour with frequent disconnects and ridiculous slowdowns.

So far we have tried:

-Checking individual devices; connected each one individually to the network, with nothing else connected. They still experienced issues. We also connected these devices to a different network, without any issues. Distance to the hub seemed to play a small part in connection speed; those closest were reaching about 32mbps download, while further away were about 25mbps download, but any device was having these issues, even sat right next to it.

-Completely resetting the hub, unplugging and reconnecting everything, including testing without the phone connected incase it was causing interference.

BT Desktop help, which was no help, as it kept disconnecting.

A quiet line test, which was absolutely fine.

Connecting a device via cable. At the time this worked, but then so did a wireless device we had connected at the time. It may just have been a decent period for the connection at that moment. It's hard to say.

This has so far shown to affect 2 laptops, 2 PS3 consoles, an Xbox 360 console and 2 seperate mobile phones. It's not an isolated device.

I really don't know what else I can do. I'm dreading making that phone call to BT support, to spend two and a half hours trying to convince them that deleting my cookies solves nothing, and that it's multiple devices that are being affected, as I had to last time we had an issue. If anybody has any suggestions that might help me avoid this, I would be immensely grateful.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 23

Re: Slow downs and Disconnects

Good morning SiwynThona and welcome to the forum.......

Are all of your laptops, consoles etc connected by wireless ?

If the answer is yes, then it is possible you are getting interference on the wireless channel that your hub is using. If you download and run "Inssider" from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/inssider.html then this will show any other hubs on your channel. Should this be the case, then it is fairly straightforward changing the channel in use, details of which can be found at http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/~/how-do-i-change-the-wireless-channel-on-my-bt...

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
SiwynThona
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Thank you very much for your reply shirts, it's much appreciated!

My HH5 is set-up to use Smart Wireless, or Automatic channel selection, which I would've thought would help. I did, however, try several different channels over the course of the last two weeks; 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 were all causing the exact same issue, and refreshing the smart wireless seemed to do nothing to ease the problem; it'd all reconnect for five minutes, and then totally drop again. My apologies - I thought I had added this to the initial post, but my internet disconnected twice while trying to post, so I think I might've posted an older copy and paste before I added that bit!

I will, however, download inSSIDer as you suggested and try it out, to see what information it provides!

And yes, our devices all connect through wireless, with the Hub at a fairly centralized location, away from anything that might be causing a disturbance. Unfortunately this also makes it quite difficult to connect anything via wire, so we're kind of stuck with a wireless service which doesn't seem to work much at the moment!

0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 23

If you select a channel manually, that should turn off the "smart" wireless.......Smiley Wink

By the way, the general consensus on this forum is that you would be better off uninstalling the "desktop help" program that came with the hub as it appears to create more problems than it solves.......

Which Homehub are you using ? Homehub 5......have just re read your first post Smiley Embarassed

Can you log-in to your homehub and post the first 12 lines that show under the "helpdesk" tab, assuming that is, that you have a Homehub 5 ?

Can you put your telephone number into http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and post the results (after removing your telephone number) ?

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
SiwynThona
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 23

Haha yes, I am aware of that. What I mean is, I was manually choosing one, testing it for several days, then activating smart wireless, and letting that choose one for several days, and repeating - hence the slightly random assortment of channels tested.

I'm running Inssider. Not 100% sure what I'm looking for. Only one other thing on the network - BT Wifi x, which always uses the same channel as me, apparently. My link score is 71, signal consistently about -60dBm, green connection bar steady. Yet a moment ago all webpages stopped loading again. Using the channel it reccomended to me (1).

Yeah, I need to uninstall that help program. I only installed it a couple of days go, as a sort of last resort thing. Figured nothing can hurt when I can't connect anyway!

Avialability checker says:

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean)60.44316.810.6--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)51.229.816.87.7--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 12.5--10.5 to 14.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 12.5Up to 110.5 to 14.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 7.5--6.5 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand33030--Available
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

Homehub 5 says:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ33352900
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 06/05/14
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. WAN:PPP Connected
6. Data sent/received:228.2 MB / 912.4 MB
7. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
8. BT Wi-fi:Yes
9. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-8HFP
10. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 150 Mb/s)) 20 MHz, WPS enabled
11. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
12. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:1

0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 23

Have you tried giving the 2.4 ghz and the 5 ghz wireless connections on your hub slightly different SSID names ? IE putting a "5" on the end of the 5 ghz ssid.....I beleive the default setting on the hub 5 is for them to have the same ssid.......

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44276/c/346,1887,1893

0 Ratings
SiwynThona
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Nope, I haven't tried that. 5 ghz is syncing with 2.4ghz. Should I try renaming it, seeing if that has any effect?

0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 23

I would do so......the 2.4 is slower but the range is greater than the 5 ghz. I assume that some of your devices can use the 5 ghz connection ?

SiwynThona
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Not as far as I'm aware. My old laptop used to be able to connect, but that is no longer usable, sadly. That is the only thing I've ever known to be connected to it.

To give some idea of how frustrating this is, in the time we have been discussing it here, the connection has gone 4 times. One of those I was fully disconnected. The other three it said I was still connected, but nothing would load at all, not even the hub page. On one of those occassions it finally told me I had no internet access, but was connected with limited connectivity.

InSSider is showing absolutely no change in the signal, and nothing else has been found on the channel I'm using.

0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 23

Is it possible to connect to the hub by cable and then can you go to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and carry out the speedtest. When the first test completes, press the "further diagnostics" button, and after putting in your phone number, post the results.

0 Ratings