cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 14

Slow evening speeds Infinity 1

Fibre has only recently been available at my address and as soon as it was I signed up to BT Infinity 1.

For the first week or so all was great and getting 50-51mbs, the last couple of weeks this has started dropping to between 7-15mbs generally between 19:00-23:00. Looking at other posts on here there seems to be plenty of issues of overcrowding in the cabinets. Could this really be the case with the one I'm connected to considering how recently it was upgraded to fibre??

I'm now paying pretty much double what I was for Sky unlimited and getting the same speeds.

Please could anybody point me in the right direction to get this resolved? Only signed up in September and wondering why I didn't stick with Sky who I never once had an issue with.

Thanks in advance if anybody can be of assistance as customer services on the phone were clueless.

Below is a speedtest just taken, no doubt in 30 mins it will be back to full speed... Just as I head off to bed 😞

speedtest1.JPG

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Slow evening speeds Infinity 1

There is no such thing as overcrowding at the cabinet. What you are suffering from is congestion on the virtual path you are connected to further down the line.

Customer support cannot do anything for you as it is not in their remit and they don't have the tools to see it.

BTWholesale are the ones responsible for mitigating capacity issues and do have line monitoring in place to identify congestion. How long it will take depends on the complexity of the solution as it is not a matter of one size fits all.

By running the Further Diagnostics on the BTWholesale site you have done the best thing to help get your issue flagged, it may help if you also named the exchange you are on.

I realise the above may not appear too helpful but there is nothing else you can do.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 14

Thanks pippincp for the above reply, makes a little more sense now. So the best course of action is for me to keep on running the speedtest as above and this will notify BTWholesale of the issues? How do I find out what exchange I'm on? Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 14

No, the only speedtest result that is saved is the most recent so multiple tests aren't really of much benefit unless the speed reduces further.

Use THIS checker to find out your exchange.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

You're not alone. My speed during the day is around 50mbs, but in the evening, during peak times, it drops below 15, often below 10. At around midnight the speed shoots back up. I guess that with so many people streaming and downloading TV, etc... these days, the system can't cope.

I have been getting numerous callbacks from customer support, and every time they test the line they say it looks fine, and that my hub is getting the proper speed. It seems that they simply cannot tell that it isn't the case. I appreciate that they are trying to help, but maybe they just do not have the ability to assist.

They keep saying that it must be a problem with my setup at home, but why it would only cause a problem during peak times is a mystery, and I think they are incorrect. In the day, with two PCs and a console online I get 50mbs. In the evening, with only one device connected, I can get as low as 3-5.

Where I live it look several years before Infinity was even available, so I imagine that it will also take a while for any upgrades or maintenance to be done as well. Maybe this is the case where you live as well. I am on the Pevensey exchange.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 14

@pickleviper wrote:

You're not alone. My speed during the day is around 50mbs, but in the evening, during peak times, it drops below 15, often below 10. At around midnight the speed shoots back up. I guess that with so many people streaming and downloading TV, etc... these days, the system can't cope.

I have been getting numerous callbacks from customer support, and every time they test the line they say it looks fine, and that my hub is getting the proper speed. It seems that they simply cannot tell that it isn't the case. I appreciate that they are trying to help, but maybe they just do not have the ability to assist.

Correct as explained above.

They keep saying that it must be a problem with my setup at home, but why it would only cause a problem during peak times is a mystery, and I think they are incorrect. In the day, with two PCs and a console online I get 50mbs. In the evening, with only one device connected, I can get as low as 3-5.

Where I live it look several years before Infinity was even available, so I imagine that it will also take a while for any upgrades or maintenance to be done as well. Maybe this is the case where you live as well.

I think BTWholesale have been caught backfooted on the huge increase in streaming. It's not that long ago congestion issues were resolved within a week. ATM they are playing catch-up but I'm sure they'll get there.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

I've been aware of this issue for around two months now. @BTCare on Twitter said it is peak times, BT customer support say it is fine and must be my equipment. I think @BTCare is correct, and that seems to tie in with what you are saying.

Seems I should just say to customer support to leave it, as they can't help, and do the further diagnostics on the BT Wholesale speed test when the speed gets low, as you suggested. I know nothing is going to get fixed overnight, but it would just be really nice to know what the problem actually is. Checking the forum, it looks like a great many people are affected, each having the exact same problem we've been getting. Lots of replies on the forums say that the exchanges need upgrading with more memory, or something. Sorry, I'm not very technical.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 8 of 14

The exchanges have more than enough fibre backhaul for the foreseeable future. The problem is how the backhaul is accessed for internet data.

The access is via what is called a virtual path (I don't want to get too technical) and when congestion happens the virtual path becomes "hot" i.e. it's not big enough for the information that is trying to pass through it.

Congestion relief is by increasing the size of or supplying one or more VP's to spread the load. The complexity of this can vary from exchange to exchange and that is they cause of the delays. Some exchanges can have the relief quickly others may take longer.

Hopefully BTWholesale are being sensible and providing more relief than necessary to allow for future increase in traffic.

I know the above is a simple explanation but I hope it goes to help you and others understand better.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

For me, the internet may as well work by magic. I am hopelessly without a clue.

But you've put it in simple enough terms to give me hope that something will be done sometime in the future to fix the problem.

Many thanks for your information and advice.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 10 of 14

Not a problem, hopefully your issue will be sorted soon.

0 Ratings