Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soggs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Slow fibre speeds at peak times

Go to solution

It looks like a bit of a trend on here at the moment, but I'm getting a massive drop in download speed from about 7PM every evening. I'm not sure when this started, but I know it's been like this for the last few weeks which makes the broadband pretty unusable from this time, especially when you have a couple of daughters streaming to their tablets.

Below is a Speedtest taken last night at about 9PM where it had dropped to just under 5Mb/s

25th.png

I then ran a BT Wholesale Speedtest to show what my achievable speeds should be. All of this was done via ethernet with wireless disabled on the router and laptop, and through the test socket to eliminate any issues from faulty equipment.

25th bt.PNG

As a comparison here is a Speedtest taken yesterday morning which shows the speed I would expect to be getting.

5743162240.png

What could be causing this? I can unsterstand a small slow down at peak times, but not to this extreme, down to almost a tenth of what I should be getting. It's making the internet pretty unusable once you get more than one person streaming or playing online.

Is there any way of getting this looked into?

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Slow fibre speeds at peak times

Go to solution

Welcome to this forum.

Can you please provide BT Wholesale speed test results for different times of the day?

Thanks

0 Ratings
soggs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

Yes of course. How many would you need? One from the morning, afternoon and evening?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

@soggs wrote:

Yes of course. How many would you need? One from the morning, afternoon and evening?

That should be enough for one of the BT moderators to investigate. They must all be done using a direct Ethernet cable to a computer.

Which exchange are you connected to? You can find this from this page.

Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
soggs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

Not a problem, I will get them done as soon as I can and get the results posted up.

Here are the details of the availability checker.

Image2.jpg

0 Ratings
soggs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

First additional test done at 17:30

26th 530pm.PNG

0 Ratings
soggs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

More tests done last night and this morning.

First at 19:15 - starting to drop in speed.

26th 715pm.PNG

Next one at 21:45 - Not as slow as the previous night, but still well below where it should be. The speed did drop again after this but I had already packed my laptop away.

26th 945pm.PNG

And the final test run this morning at 7:15 which shows the speed back up to where it normally is.

27TH 716AM.PNG

Hopefully this gives the BT moderators enough to be able to look into the issue for me.

0 Ratings
soggs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

I also had a complete dropout amongst these tests, I'm not sure if the logs below are of any help but I'll post them up anyway.

drop.jpg

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @soggs Sorry about the slow speeds of your connection in the evenings.

We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
soggs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

Thank you @JohnC2, I have filled out the contact form, looking forward to hearing back 🙂

0 Ratings