Another test done tonight at 22:20, down to under 5Mb/s, pretty much unusable 😞

27TH 2218.PNG

0 Ratings
borguk1of9
Contributor
Message 12 of 24

Re: Slow fibre speeds at peak times

Go to solution

So many people posting about the same thing, you have to wonder what the hell BT Wholesale/Retail are doing wrong in their service provision and why they arent doing something about it.

It all seems so reactive not proactive which in this day and age with whats available to the NOC's does make you question.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution
BT Wholesale are proactively monitoring and upgrading capacity however it is not an overnight fix it takes time dependant on what needs doing the problem also affects other providers not just BT Retail
0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

You do have to admit though @john46 BTWholesale are appearing to be behind the ball on this ATM unlike last yeat.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution
Yes there does seen to be more than normal number of capacity issues then last year
0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

Unfortunately although Openreach have allowed me into theire "customer" zone I still haven't been able to get into the BTWholesale one.

I have noticed though that smaller providers e.g. A&A or Zen post more information than BT Retail when issues are present.

What BTRetail and some other providers don't seem to realise is users want to be informed. If they are told what the problem is and that it will take (for the sake of argument) a week then they will be happy and wait. They know the problem has been acknowleged and a fix is under way.

Bottom line they have been heard rather than ignored.

Put it this way, if BTWholesale released the info then  if the OP went onto the main site, saw a search for his problem or just inputted utilisation in the search option, he would not have to come here.

Even if it said 3 weeks lead time to sort it out I assume he would be happy as he would know it was recognised and being dealt with. That's what people want nowadays.

I entered the West Draton thread to inform customers what was going on and all but one realised the situation, you provided additional info as to how far they'd got with it. All but one complined. BTW there were eventually 13,000 connections that needed doing. Your 4,000 was just an update plus the fibre splicing.

People now want to be informed and kept in the loop!

OK Rant/not Rant over.

0 Ratings
Neil1
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

@pippincp wrote:

Unfortunately although Openreach have allowed me into theire "customer" zone I still haven't been able to get into the BTWholesale one.

I have noticed though that smaller providers e.g. A&A or Zen post more information than BT Retail when issues are present.

What BTRetail and some other providers don't seem to realise is users want to be informed. If they are told what the problem is and that it will take (for the sake of argument) a week then they will be happy and wait. They know the problem has been acknowleged and a fix is under way.

Bottom line they have been heard rather than ignored.

Put it this way, if BTWholesale released the info then  if the OP went onto the main site, saw a search for his problem or just inputted utilisation in the search option, he would not have to come here.

Even if it said 3 weeks lead time to sort it out I assume he would be happy as he would know it was recognised and being dealt with. That's what people want nowadays.

I entered the West Draton thread to inform customers what was going on and all but one realised the situation, you provided additional info as to how far they'd got with it. All but one complined. BTW there were eventually 13,000 connections that needed doing. Your 4,000 was just an update plus the fibre splicing.

People now want to be informed and kept in the loop!

OK Rant/not Rant over.

I don't usually post on this part of the board (scary) but just wanted to say I very much agree with this. Tell people what is going on and they are generally happier

However, a couple of caveats. One is, as you say and was demonstrated in the West Drayton thread, some will still not be happy. And, the problem with giving lead/completion times is the furore if, for any reason, good or bad, they are missed

But, yep, with you here!

0 Ratings
stevebrass
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

I am all for more information neing made available, with the caveats already presented.

On the topic of congestion, in my view it is simply lame for any ISP to not be monitoring congestion on behalf of their customers and doing something about it. If you sell a broadband product of XXmb that should be what you give the customer - give or take a reasonable tolerance of course. The examples we see here are not reasonable!

Customers should not have to brave ill-informed support staff and use forums like this one to get things resolved. I guess most ISP's work on the basis that most people wont notice and will be fobbed off by first line support.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
soggs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

I agree with all of this, just a small bit of communication goes a long way. As @pippincp said, if there was a link we could use which showed any issues, even if it showed a few weeks lead time, it would be better than nothing.

Someone from BT has been in touch with me regarding the issue, and as with all the other posts it seems to be congestion at the exchange. I was told BT should be setting up some SVLANs over the weekend to help fix the problem and it should be rectified by today, so I will run some tests later to see if it's been done. I certainly hope it has been I as I was down to 4Mb/s last night.

0 Ratings
Ti_Rich
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution
I have the same problem. On infinity2 with a 64Mbps sync speed. In the morning I can get 60Mbps but in the evening it drops to 18 or less measured with a direct connection to the HH6, WiFi off and no other users.
0 Ratings