cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EricRees
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Slow infinity 1 after bodged upgrade

I currently pay for BT Infinity 1 broadband, which has been provising a very slow download speed of 0.3 Mbps since August 2016. Previously, it used to provide a few Mbps.

The origin of the problem may be related to a failed installation of BT Infinity 2 FTTP, which is listed as available for my house. Unfortunately, after I ordered this, BT failed to install it (and they cancelled 2 engineer visits without notice while they were in the process of failing to install it).

I have contacted BT Order Management twice. Each time (August 2016 and 19 November 2016), I have been told that they would call me back after investigating the problem. Unfortunately, while they did call me back within a week or so of each occasion, they were only able to say they were still investigating the problem and would call back again. And they subsequently have not.

I have also had a number of fruitless conversations with BT's staff in India and via their chat system.

Can anybody suggest a method to hurry along BT's efforts in solving the problems of (a) very slow broadband, and (b) installing the Infinity 2 FTTP that is advertised as being available to my phone number according to http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

I am copying the recommended speed test and home hub router stats below. In these, it strikes me as odd that the speed test claims a max achievable speed of 0.25 Mbps, given that BT are happy to take my money for an Infinity 1 connection. As I mentioned above, I used to get a few Mbps via the same line.

[2016_12_11_btSpeedtest] 2016_12_11_btSpeedCheck.png

1. Product Name: HomeHub5
2. Serial number: +076284+1545015048
3. Firmware version: v0.07.06.09028-BT (Type B) Last updated 9/11/2016
4. Board version: 01
5. ADSL uptime: 0 days, 01:08:01
6. Bandwidth: 446 / 288
7. Data sent/received: 14.5 MB / 35.2 MB
8. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
9. BT Wi-fi: Yes
10. 2.4GHz wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-FPNP
11. 2.4GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
12. 2.4GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only (Recommended)
13. 2.4GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
14. 5GHz wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-FPNP
15. 5GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
16. 5GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only (Recommended)
17. 5GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. Firewall: Default
19. MAC Address: a8:d3:f7:4d:58:62
20. VPI/VCI: 0/38
21. Modulation: G.992.5(ADSL2+)
22. Latency type: Interleaved
23. Software variant: -
24. Boot loader: 0.5.1-BT (Wed Nov 12 11:52:05 2014)

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Slow infinity 1 after bodged upgrade

That is not an Infinity 1 connection, it is ADSL2+

Have you tried calling the FTTP team on 0800 587 4787?

Are you sure you mean FTTP fibre to the premises and not FTTC fibre to the cabinet?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

You are on adsl 2+ standard copper broadband not FTTP can you please post the results of the checker so ewe can see the services available to you http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
0 Ratings
EricRees
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Certainly, thanks. Please find attached two screengrabs. One is from the dslchecker site, and lists WBC FTTP as being available to my line. The otheris cropped from my latest bill, which shows I am being charged for BT Infinity 1.

2016_12_11_bt_bill_cropr.png

2016_12_11_dslchecker.png

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Ok, Infinity1 is only available to you via FTTP it is not available to you as FTTC. You are definitely not recieving Infinity1 at the moment. You need to speak to the FTTP team on the number I posted.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Your hub stats show you on ADSL 2+ Standard copper broadband not infinity of any type
0 Ratings
EricRees
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

licquorice: I have previously called the FTTP team. It was their team which redirected my call, on 19 Nov 2016, to the Order Management team. I expect that if I call them again, they would again re-direct me to the Order Management team. Unfortunately I had to wait in a queue on the phone for 35 minutes just for that transfer.

john46: I expect the fact that one part of BT bills me for Infinity, while another part thinks I have ADSL 2+, is part of the reason why the FTTP team redirected me to the Order Management team.

If I may return to my original question. Can you suggest the best way for me to hasten the BT Order Management team in addressing this problem? One way would be to call them up again: but of course they informed over the phone that they would need a week or so to resolve the problem (which is reasonable), and then they don't get back in touch.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Hopefully one of the mods will see your post and pick it up.

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 9 of 12

Hi @EricRees

Thanks for your posts and welcome to the community forum!

Sorry that you're having these problems.  I understand that you've been in touch numerous times and you're still no further forward.  You can get in touch with us and we will give you a hand from here.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

EricRees
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

After a number of further calls in December 2016, an engineer was booked to install my fibre connection on 11 Jan 2017.

Now I have received conflicting messages about this appointment. A person from BT Openreach called me on 6 Jan to tell me they were cancelling this appointment, and he also told me that a colleague would call me back to re-arrange it. (He did not seem at all apologetic, and I have not been called back yet by either BT or BT Openreach.) And now on 8 Jan I have received a text message from BT telling me that my engineer will visit on the morning of 11 Jan, and that I need to be at home.

Clearly I will need to waste yet more time contacting BT to find out which of these messages is correct.

0 Ratings