cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 11 of 19

Re: Slow internet speed with appauling customer service. Not sure where to go next

That still doesn't answer why I'm getting 0.1Megabits instead of 1Megabit.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 19

Re: Slow internet speed with appauling customer service. Not sure where to go next

@MrAxlee If you look at the speedtester result you posted, you are not getting 0.1mbps. You are getting 0.99mbps download, with a 0.2mbps upload, which is in your estimates.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 13 of 19

@SuperSajuuk

To quote my original post: "This usually shows a download speed of around 2Mbps - which is never reflected by actual downloads."
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 19

@MrAxlee

Sorry I think jac_95 post explains about download speed and the confusion 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 15 of 19

There is no confusion. I download files at 100 kiloBITs per second, regardless of what that test says. That is much less than the megabit I've been GUARANTEED as a minimum.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 19

file transfer speed and download speed are different you are confusing the two
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 19

@MrAxlee wrote:
There is no confusion. I download files at 100 kiloBITs per second, regardless of what that test says. That is much less than the megabit I've been GUARANTEED as a minimum.

BT Consumer don't guarantee downstream/upstream throughput speeds (a.k.a. download/upload speeds) for any customers.

All the figures quoted on the BT Wholesale checker, BT Consumer checker, and BT Consumer order confirmation relate to the line downstream/upstream data rates (a.k.a. connection speeds).

You were quoted a downstream connection speed range of 1Mbps to 4Mbps with a minimum of 1Mbps. Your log shows the actual downstream connection speed was 2.496Mbps, so well within the estimated range. The downstream IP profile is then set to 88.2% of the connection speed, hence the 2.2Mbps that the speedtest reported. Your particular ADSL product then caps the download speed limit for IP data on your current connection at 2Mbps, as represented by the bar chart.

The speedtest result you posted showed an achieved download speed of 0.99Mbps at that particular time. Not great considering a possible maximum of 2Mbps, but download speeds will vary and can be affected by congestion at busy times.

Regarding the 100Kbps (0.1Mbps) download speed you keep stating ...

Could you post a screenshot showing where you are getting that figure from? Nothing you have posted so far shows that result.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 19

@umpire I think it's more likely that the OP thinks that file transfer is measured in kilobits, when it's actually measured in kilobytes. On a 1mbps download speed, a file transfer of around about 100kb/s is quite normal, so I have no idea why the OP thinks this is a problem, other than a general misunderstanding of the difference between bits and bytes.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 19

@SuperSajuuk wrote:

@umpire I think it's more likely that the OP thinks that file transfer is measured in kilobits, when it's actually measured in kilobytes. On a 1mbps download speed, a file transfer of around about 100kb/s is quite normal, so I have no idea why the OP thinks this is a problem, other than a general misunderstanding of the difference between bits and bytes.

Yes, that would be my guess too, but a screenshot should confirm things. Smiley Happy

"On a 1mbps download speed, a file transfer of around about 100kb/s is quite normal,..."

I now feel it only right to highlight the fact that it should surely be an upper case 'B' for bytes (and an upper case 'M' and 'K' come to that, though 'k' has also traditionally been used). Sorry couldn't let that one go. Smiley LOL 

Feel free to correct any of my mistakes. There are plenty to choose from. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_rate_units