cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Slow internet

Router status says 15Mbps but internet grinds to halt or drops. Ping to www.bt.com or www.google.com can be up to 6000ms. Most of time pings (and trace route ) < 35ms. These fails can be for minutes or hour. Internal network pings are <5ms. Where is the problem?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Slow internet

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Message 3 of 8

Hi - thanks for responding. There is a constant buzz. Now and again it quietens very very briefly like taking a breath and back to buzz. And if you listen very carefully every now and again there is added a very short higher frequency buzz.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

if there is a buzz then that is a line fault but to check it is not being caused by your internal wiring you should try test again but from the test socket which is behind the master socket faceplate  if noise still there then external and report phone fault to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 8

Hi - thanks too for this help. So this is what I did according to your suggestion and after.

1) Removed faceplate and plugged phone into master - the sound is much clearer but still a low hum (rather than clear buzz). Put faceplate back on and plugged in to faceplate - buzz but not as loud as when it was plugged elsewhere in the house. This faceplate was replaced by BT engineer two days ago.

2) Removed faceplate and plugged microfilter that came with hub into master and phone into microfilter. Again much clearer but with low hum. (I would presume that this should not have made a difference)

3) Removed phone and plugged Hub into its microfilter socket. Local network all good computer pings devices quickly - all on wi-fi. All looked good Ping and Traceroute < 40ms.

4) Now past 5pm (even on good days 5-7pm is troublesome)  Ping and Traceroute to www.google.com up to and above 4000ms.

I'm using a Mac and the Network Utility is running the tests so I have the data if that would help. 

Thanks again for helping me here.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Was it a corded or wireless phone you used?  If cordless a dull hum is normal but with corded should be silent.  Are you using Ethernet when doing testing

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hi - The phone is cordless BT.

The testing is not done on ethernet but on wifi network. The kit is all new complete wifi and router. It works up to its standard most of the time. Grinds down randomly and often between 12-2pm; 5-7pm. Machines/devices on network never have any local issues. They always ping each other quickly. Traceroute always gets to router reasonably.

e.g.

traceroute to forcesafesearch.google.com (216.239.38.120), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets

1  192.168.1.254 (192.168.1.254)  3.602 ms  2.492 ms  2.246 ms

2  172.16.15.180 (172.16.15.180)  93.265 ms  262.411 ms  711.401 ms

3  * * *

4  31.55.185.184 (31.55.185.184)  4358.109 ms  4484.512 ms  1648.902 ms 

... etc.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Hi all - still no resolution here.

Plugged Mac directly into Hub. Turned Mac wifi connection off, so we are direct to the internet.

Ran Ping to www.google.com from Network Utility for a day: that's about 80,000 pings to google. 

0.1% of pings return: " ping: sendto: Network is down"

5.2% return: "Request timeout for icmp_seq XXX", where XXX is the ping request number

49.1% ping less than 50ms 

21.8% more than 1000ms

and 2.3% greater than 5000ms

Looks to me like BT network failures. What do the experts think?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings