cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
borderline
Contributor
Message 151 of 167

Re: Slow loading webpages

at my end, I haven't had this issue I was having since Saturday... although the speed a little bit more slow...but it seems that whatever it was has been resolved... would be nice to know what it was though...

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 152 of 167

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your continued patience while we addressed the problem reported on this thread.  I am now in a position to offer some more information as to what the problem was and the fix.

Firstly the root cause of the issue was down to errors being generated on one of our core sites that feeds the South East of England. To rectify this problem we moved traffic away from this node to a resilient site.  This move caused some contention issues because more customers were sharing the capacity at that site (node) which is why some of you may have seen a drop in the practical speed they could use, known as throughput speed

The errors on the core node were fixed in the early hours of yesterday morning and traffic was reintroduced at 1 AM.  I am happy to report that we have seen no more errors on this Node so we are confident that the problem has been fixed.

I am very sorry that it took us a while to fix this issue, unfortunately in this case the criteria to trigger an alarm was not set low enough to flag these intermittent issues – we have changed that now across the whole network to prevent this from happening again in the future.

For anyone still having problems please make yourself known to the moderators and we will look at your individual connection as we don’t believe it is related to the main issue reported on this thread.

Thanks again for your patience and assistance with this problem.

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 153 of 167

I'm amazed that such a detailed response was posted. Thank you Neil! Very happy to see the effort put in to finding out and telling us.

0 Ratings
Catfriend
Aspiring Contributor
Message 154 of 167

I live in north west England, close to the Scottish border; my exchange is Longtown. I only joined BT Broadband, on ADSL, about three weeks ago, and since that time have found that accessing most web pages is next to impossible during the evening. My speed is only about 2831 kbps at the best of times, but I am at the end of a long line, and this has never caused me problems as usually I can browse websites and stream iPlayer and You Tube with no difficulty. Since changing to BT I don't have a problem during the day except that sometimes pictures won't load on the BBC site, however, my evening connection is hopeless, with dropped connections, and very slow web browsing - last night I couldn't even connect to this site and it took me several very long attempts to get on to Facebook. I notice that the problems everyone has been having seem to have their cause in the south of England, but I was wondering if anything is amiss up here in the north west as well.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 155 of 167

Hi Catfriend,

Sorry about that, send me over your details using the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile and we'll look into this for you. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
_i
Contributor
Message 156 of 167

Interesting explanation, and always good to be given technical info post fault resolution as it gives reassurance that a positive cause has been found and there is no gremlin lurking in the works waiting to appear again.  Odd that I seemed to have almost exactly the same fault symptoms resolved over similar time-scales to that but in the North of Scotland, I'm not a great believer in co-incidence!

My fault, reported on Friday night, has the status changed to closed today in the online tracker, but I never received any info or contact about what it was or what was done.

Certainly since yesterday afternoon everything is working 100%.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 157 of 167

Hi _i

If you are located in the North of Scotland and using a residential broadband connection it is fed from a RAN located in Manchester which was not affected by this issue.  I really do feel it was a co-incidence but if you do have any further problems please get in touch with one of the moderators and we'll be happy to help.

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings
leiya107
Beginner
Message 158 of 167

Hi, 

I live in Surbiton (BT landline 0208) but I dont know where my exchange is. Since last week I've been experiencing similar "slow loading webpages" problem like the original poster. I'm getting my usual 16Mbps/1Mbps speeds, but it's just that every minute or so I hit a new webpage and it just stops loading, until I hit the refresh button and then it loads fine. This has caused serious problems when I do online transactions and run mobile apps that need stable connection.  I've consulted the BT service status page and see that two of the affected areas having the same landline area code 0208 as I do, Skyport and Wanstead, but they don't seem particularly near where I live. So I'm wondering if my exchange isn't actually affected by the issue but I'm just coincidentally having a similar issue? 

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
TheGrandFromage
Aspiring Contributor
Message 159 of 167

Hi, having problems here too in the Avon area.  Noticed BT Sport was very blocky last Sunday - usually the stream is near HD, then every evening at around 10pm my speed has dropped so much that I've not even been able to do a speed test (pages wont even load) -and email accounts take themself off line. This then seems to speed up marginally within a few minutes/hours. This morning's speed test showed 9.96Mbps download, but dispite this connecting times are still a little slow for most sites I visit. Thanks for any info.

0 Ratings
Catfriend
Aspiring Contributor
Message 160 of 167

At the risk of being boring, I just want to say that my problem of slow loading webpages re-occurred last night. My internet was fine during the day and into the evening. I used it at around 8.30 pm and didn't notice any problems, but when I returned to it shortly after 10 pm it was virtually impossible to get any site to open. It made no difference whether I tried using Firefox, IE or Chrome; each site I tried would either not load at all, or load extremely slowly. This one, for instance, did load after a few minutes but the page was corrupted and it wasn't usable. I went to bed in the end, but it would have been interesting to see at what time things reverted to normal, because this morning everything is good again. I know Neil is kindly looking into this for me, and will wait to hear what he says, but I am very puzzled by this as it has only occurred after changing to BT Broadband.   

0 Ratings