cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Slow mobile data

I have just got a new BT Mobile sim contract. The sim is in my iPhone 8 Plus and I have full bars of 4g signal yet speedtest.net only shows between 0.8 and 3.5Mbs down and less than 1Mbs up. I have come from Vodafone where in the same location with just 2 bars of signal I always achieved over 30Mbs down speed. Does that seem right?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Slow mobile data

Have you double checked by using the speed test from within the MyBt app?

Make sure that you follow the advice of not having other devices connected, It gives info on speeds to hub and speeds over Wi-fi.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

I turned wifi off because I was trying to test mobile data speed.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Sorry, I misread your post. There are no problems here with the iphone8 plus.
Never had much luck with Ookla, though.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Hmmm. Try Measurements.lab. website. If indoors move around until you see 3 bars or more. Otherwise move outside. You should see around 20mbps (or whatever) down.
It’s tricky here as house is East West and cells are North South. Unlike 02 which is only 300yds to the East.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

It seems to be better today. May have been a temporary issue. 20Mbps down and 5.5Mbps up. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for all your responses.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@nashmills wrote:

It seems to be better today. May have been a temporary issue. 20Mbps down and 5.5Mbps up. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for all your responses.

It’s shame that one of the best applications for data speeds and network monitoring (cell location etc) is only available on Android.

However, that bars display on the 4g reception leaves a wide margin of error, as you may have discovered.

0 Ratings