Go to solution

Same here london N7, download fine but page loading issues

0 Ratings
milhousevh
Contributor
Message 302 of 336

Re: Slow page browsing

Go to solution

Seeing as this forum thread seems to be the only reliable communication channel we have with BT, now that the problem is confirmed and a fix is scheduled, what would be really great is if everyone now stops posting to this thread until the problem is confirmed as fixed.

Spamming inboxes with "me too" updates isn't useful. 🙂

Edit: OK then, spam on. 😞

0 Ratings
lonegroover
Aspiring Contributor
Message 303 of 336

Go to solution

Meanwhile BT are still glibly informing visitors from my area that "everything seems fine" with their broadband service via their status page, which really does smack of a failure of competence, or at worst an abject disregard for their customer base.

0 Ratings
jameshailstone
Beginner
Message 304 of 336

Go to solution

Has to be something to do with BT's filtering/monitoring/policing systems.

There is clearly no issue with connectivity, transport, or IP. If I encrypt all my outbound traffic via any kind of VPN, be it dial-up, IPSEC, SSL, or GRE everything is completely fine, presumably because the systems that are having the problem can't inspect encrypted traffic.

Loads of posts stating that signing up to a VPN service has solved their issue. I work for/operate a hosted platform that's run from a Level3 datacentre. Without the VPN I cannot connect to the platform, whatever transparent proxy or traffic management device is causing TCP resets (will be the same for UDP but you won't now about it). So I add VPN access and as soon as I route all my traffic through it everything is fine.

My hunch (and that's all it is), is that they've changed something higher up the stack which has gone bad.

I do appreciate that this is a consumer service that doesn't really carry any meaningful SLA, and I can also accept that things happen and break. And I can also appreciate that they don't want to admit to a screw up for fear of recrimination. But I would expect that whatever changes have been made could be regressed.

James (frustrated user who's sitting tight and hoping for a resolution!) 

0 Ratings
MikeZ
Contributor
Message 305 of 336

Go to solution

@jameshailstone wrote:

Has to be something to do with BT's filtering/monitoring/policing systems.

There is clearly no issue with connectivity, transport, or IP. If I encrypt all my outbound traffic via any kind of VPN, be it dial-up, IPSEC, SSL, or GRE everything is completely fine, presumably because the systems that are having the problem can't inspect encrypted traffic.

Loads of posts stating that signing up to a VPN service has solved their issue. I work for/operate a hosted platform that's run from a Level3 datacentre. Without the VPN I cannot connect to the platform, whatever transparent proxy or traffic management device is causing TCP resets (will be the same for UDP but you won't now about it). So I add VPN access and as soon as I route all my traffic through it everything is fine.

My hunch (and that's all it is), is that they've changed something higher up the stack which has gone bad.

I do appreciate that this is a consumer service that doesn't really carry any meaningful SLA, and I can also accept that things happen and break. And I can also appreciate that they don't want to admit to a screw up for fear of recrimination. But I would expect that whatever changes have been made could be regressed.

James (frustrated user who's sitting tight and hoping for a resolution!) 

Hi James, exactly my thinking too. You can add IPv6 tunnels to that list, too - while not encrypted, it is wrapped in protocol 41 packets so also bypasses any inspection by BT's monitoring/filtering systems.

0 Ratings
zenfugee
Beginner
Message 306 of 336

Go to solution

Virgin order placed.  Not in the hope or expectation of being treated with any less contempt, but because I am out of contract, Virgin is marginally cheaper and it's hard to see how they could be any more crappy.

0 Ratings
lonegroover
Aspiring Contributor
Message 307 of 336

Go to solution

For the moment it looks as though the problem has gone away (I'm in the LE67 area) and can happily now peruse HTTPS sites without frustration.

Looks like whatever caused the problem has been backed out; I'd love to know what it was though. Some sort of snooping or filtering facility? BT I just want the packets, I don't need you to go nosing around inside the contents.

0 Ratings
rhomb
Contributor
Message 308 of 336

Go to solution

Seems fixed here too now. Somebody at BT obviously found what the cleaner unplugged and put it back 😉

0 Ratings
MikeyC123
Contributor
Message 309 of 336

Go to solution
NeilO

Thanks for the update, would it be too much to ask what the cause of the problem was please and the solution - I think given the remarkable patience we have all demonstrated and indeed us telling BT it had a problem which it point blank refused to acknowledge it wouldn't be too much to ask.

Thanks
0 Ratings
milhousevh
Contributor
Message 310 of 336

Go to solution

Seems good here (CR0) on ADSL.

Thanks BT for the fix, but must do better on the communication otherwise you'll have Ofcom on your **bleep**.

0 Ratings