Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Slow rural broadband question

Hi,

I am one of the many who (has almost resigned himself to not ever getting a decent connection)live in rura areas. I have been having speed drops for a while now, one thing I have noticed after an IP lookup is that I appear to have moved from my present location north of civilisation to the middle of wales? Would this have an affect on my speed drop. Currently my speed hovers around 1mb last year it was around 1.9mb. I have been onto BT several times and they have "reset my connection" but to no avail. Any ideas?

chipeater

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Slow rural broadband question

the location will not affect your conenction speed

can you post the adsl stats from your router please and results from btspeedtester diagnostic test

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Will do when i get home from work

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Hi here are the various results from hub and speedtest

1. Product name:

BT Home Hub

2. Serial number:

+068543+NQ43939362

3. Firmware version:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 04/07/15

4. Board version:

BT Hub 5A

5. DSL uptime:

11 days, 23:25:02

6. Data rate:

448 / 1600

7. Maximum data rate:

1000 / 1728

8. Noise margin:

20.0 / 16.5

9. Line attenuation:

31.0 / 57.4

10. Signal attenuation:

31.0 / 54.4

11. Data sent/received:

2.8 GB / 45.7 GB

12. Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

13. BT Wi-fi:

Yes

14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:

hoobyjoobi

15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:

Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))

16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:

WPA2

17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:

Automatic (Smart Wireless)

18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:

hoobyjoobi

19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:

Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))

20. 5 GHz Wireless security:

WPA2

21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:

Automatic (Smart Wireless)

22. Firewall:

23. MAC Address:

c8:91:f9:89:32:62

24. VPI/VCI:

0 / 38

25. Modulation:

G.992.1 Annex A

26. Latency type:

Interleaved

27. Software variant:

AA

28. Boot loader:

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

problem is your very high noise margin - normal is about 6db   as you have a great stbale connection and DLM has not dropped the noise margin then we can get mod help to reset noise margin  this will give you better down speed and therefore better download speed

mods will post a contact us link 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Thanks will wait for Mods

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 7 of 13

Hi Chipeater,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.  Really sorry to hear of the problems you are having.

I would have to agree with Imjolly, it is most certainly your high noise margin which is pushing your speeds down, 20dB is very high and I am surprised that your connection has been up for 11 days.  I would have expected your noise margin to come down significantly as your connection appears to be stable. 

Your noise margin tells you that there is/was interference coming from somewhere that has affected your connection. usually noise interference will result in your connection becoming very unstable which usually manifests by your connection dropping, the noise margin increases in an attempt to stabilise the connection.  In theory your noise margin should come down when the source of the interference stops however this can get stuck at times.

This is something that I can help with.  I can reset the noise margin back to the target value of 6dB.  This will have an immediate affect on your speed.  This will also be a good way to check if the cause of the interference has now gone.  Either way we will get to the bottom of this.

Click on my username (SeanD) and under the 'About me' section of my profile you will find a the 'Mods contact link'.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Still waiting for a response from Mods after contacting them on Sunday and Tuesday - meanwhile everyone in the house has time shares on internet maximum time allowed each go 15 mins 😉

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

The mods take 3/5 working days to reply personally to you after you send in the contact us form the waiting time excludes weekends and bank holidays. 

you do not need to  make additional requests for mod help after you have have received the tracking reference after sending the contact form 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

as I said in my previouis post - it can take 3/5 working days for mods to get back to you   you are in a queue of other customers waiting for mod help all of whom consider their problem a priority hence why mods reply in order the emails are received.  you just need to wait until your email reaches top of inbox

0 Ratings