cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lisdoobean
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Slow slow bt-hub3 download speed

Hello there I have just changed providers yesterday (17th feb) from AOL to BT. Now I thought the download speed from AOL was poor (60-70 kbs) but now I'm getting 13-17 kbs which is pitiful. I spoke to some guy from India (why can't we have local help?) and he told me that because I have just joined bt my speed....will be like this for 10 days. Why is this so? When I was with AOL I was getting 60-70 kbs which I thought was bad but this is a joke. Anyway, can someone on here please help? Thanks Paul
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Slow slow bt-hub3 download speed

Welcome to the forum.

To enable forum members to help you, could you please read the web page that is shown below, which asks you to do a few checks first, and has some helpful hints.

When you have done that, please follow the instuctions at the end, and post the results here, so members can offer advice. Thank you.

Speed and disconnections

0 Ratings
lisdoobean
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 78 Kbps

0 Kbps250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 78 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50 Kbps-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :384 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

This is the download speed i should get, i'm 20 miles from the exchange thats why it's slow, but at the moment i'm only getting 17kbps, do i have to wait 10 days as i have only joined bt broadband yesterday? Somehow i think theres more to it than that standard answer, as i have said before i was getting 60-70 kbps with AOL, i only left them because I thought BT would be faster

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

We need the ADSL stats as well.

0 Ratings
lisdoobean
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 04:45:09
Downstream:384 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):14.9 dB / 14.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):61.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):16.3 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):976 / 31
CRC Events (Down/Up):19 / 12
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):30 / 8
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Here is your estimated final speed in red shown below.

This could take up to 10 days to acheive, as the line is being monitored for that period. As you have only been connected for four hours, there is a long way to go yet.

It is very important that you leave your home  switched on and connected up to your phone line for at least the 10 days.

The speed should slowly improve during that period.

Do not restart the hub during that period.

Estimation of your maximum rate adaptive adsl speed

Downstream
Attenuation
dB Approx
Line Length
km

dslMAX kbps IP Profile kbps

adsl2+ (21CN) kbps IP Profile kbps

adsl2+ (LLU) kbps Throughput kbps

0 Ratings
harrjoa
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

I very much doubt you live 20 miles from the exchange. But if you were with AOL on IP Stream then migrating over to BT will have done very little to your connecton.  As such I think that at the end of the 10 days there will be manual intervention required for an SNR reset of the line which will put your Noise Margin down to 6dB and your speed up to I would imagine about 2.5MB.  Simply switching from 1 ISP to another using BT Wholesale's network does not trigger a 10 day stabilisation period with the line, it just makes the system think there is and it will not allow thw End User's Service Provider to make any changes to the connection for that time period.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
lisdoobean
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

I am 20 miles from the exchange, i live in a rural area. Anyway, when you say there will be a manual intervention required, does this mean bt have to do this? All I want is the fastest broadband connection possible for my area without any hassle.

Thanks for your reply by the way

0 Ratings
lisdoobean
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Thanks for your quick reply Keith. So I have to keep the bt hub switched on all the time for this initial 10 day period? As long as I can eventually get a decent broadband spped for my area thats all i ask, and hopefully faster than the 60-70 kbps acheived with AOL.

Cheers

0 Ratings
harrjoa
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

What I have said is that your exchange is probably only served by BT Wholesale, who is completley seperate to BT Retail who is your Service Provider.  AOL would've used BT Wholesale's network to provide you broadband.  As you still run on the same exchange equiptment, switching between the two PROBABLY won't have caused a new stabilisation period on the line physically. Just causing the computers/systems that BT Retail use to think that the line is in a stabilisation period.  If at the end of the 10 days, your connection hasn't changed, then you will need a manual SNR reset to increase the line speed.  However after the SNR reset, your line speed may still be decreased if it is unstable.  Your service provider will provide you with the Maximum Stable rate, maybe not the fastest speed, but it will give you some stability.  Just wait and see how the connection fairs.

If you were 20 miles from the exchange, you wouldn't get broadband.

0 Ratings