Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
telemach
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Slow speed, but new internal wiring and very close to exchange

Hi,

We experience relatively slow speeds here on ADSL2+.

We are about 600m from the WRBEL exchange (Chester Street) and had the redone last year following some problem.

I am absolutely sure there is only one wire pair now between the entry point and the ADSL filter plate where the BT HomeHub is plugged in.

Yet, attenuation is 37.2db, and we only achieve 8Mbit/s download speed.

How can this be?

According to BT, eveything is perfectly normal and fine?!?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Screenshots below:

BT Home Hub stats

BT Speedtest

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Slow speed, but new internal wiring and very close to exchange

have you tried the quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best with corded phone  if cordless dull hum normal

with 37 attenuation it suggests distance from exchange about 2.8km

does connection drop if you receive or make a phone call

I realise you have an adsl faceplate but have you tried direct to the test socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
telemach
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Hi imjolly,

thanks for swift reply.

Have tried quiet line 17070, sound perfectly ok to my untrained ear.

Also, faceplate is new (put it in with new wiring) - had microfilter before.

Before the wiring was changed, we got about 7.5Mbit/s and slightly higher attenuation. I thought that would be the cause, but surprisignly, it does not seem to be.

My neighbour only get 1Mbit/s, but the distance to the exchange is definitely less than 1km.

Sadly, there is no Infinity available here either...

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

there is no way to tell the route your phoneline takes to the exchange but if attenuation was similar before then it suggests that current figure is correct

your connection time is only 1+ day is that due to manual reset or router dropping connection?  your noise margin is above normal of 6 and if that came down to normal then speed would increase.  a speeed of about 10.5mb is what I would expect with a good line and no noise problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 5 of 22

@telemach wrote:

Hi imjolly,

thanks for swift reply.

My neighbour only get 1Mbit/s, but the distance to the exchange is definitely less than 1km.

Hi telemach,

Have you tried http://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=Checker&landlinenumber to see what line length it returns ? 

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
telemach
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 22

Hi dfenceman,

good idea - 1737m (surprising)!

Still - that should give around 26db attenuation with around 15Mbit/s if I am not mistaken.

Vastly different from the 37db and 8Mbit/s I am getting at the moment Smiley Sad

Screen Shot 2013-01-22 at 07.47.50.png

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 7 of 22

@telemach wrote:

good idea - 1737m (surprising)!

Still - that should give around 26db attenuation with around 15Mbit/s if I am not mistaken.

Vastly different from the 37db and 8Mbit/s I am getting at the moment Smiley Sad

Screen Shot 2013-01-22 at 07.47.50.png

Hi telemach,

Maybe you are not connected directly to the exchange but via a street cabinet.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html  should answer that.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
telemach
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 22

Hi dfenceman,

good site to know about.

Not sure how to interpret the result, see screenshot below.

It would make sense if the line were connected directly to the exchange, as those customers don't get Infinity.

Just wish BT had gone done the fibre (like Verizon FIOS) route rather than VDSL; then I'd probably now have good broadband...

(believe they decided against real fibre, as this would have eliminated the need for a telephone line, so people wouldn't have had to pay it it anymore... (also means we wouldn't need these huge street cabinets):

4.PNG

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

that seems to confirm that your current speed is within estimate for your line

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

yes i would agree with Imjolly speeds are within estimate the data given by the BT Wholesale site comes from Openreach line data and is there fore much closer to the correct level
I have seen many errors with line length from the other site
0 Ratings