cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brutus
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Slow speed

I have infinity 2 and the speeds drop out all the time.  I get an avarage speed of about 26mbps maybe up to 30mbps.  BT have said that is acceptable and all I should expect.  They advrtise up to 76mbps and their latest deal is stating 52mbps.  Has anyone else had this problem.  It has been going on for over a year now. Any help would be appreciated.  PS My laptop is connected via ethernet

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Slow speed

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

are you using the test socket with a new filter?

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Brutus
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for the reply.  Everything is connected to ethernet to the hub.  I have no filters, BT took the adsl off when they installed Hub 5. The download speed just now is 29.6 mbps, upload is 6.8 and ping is 30mbps.  When I first had the problem BT said they would send someone out but if it was my equipment, I would have to pay.  I had already paid £150 for connection and range extenders.  When the engineer came out he said it was not my equipment but a problem at the exchange.  He went away to fix that and low and behold, the problem was still there.  I soon discovered that I was then sharing my phone line with a lady about 500 yards away who was on the phone to bt informing them of the same issue.  I managed to get the ladys attention and give her my phone number and she called me back.  We both reported the issue to bt and they sent another engineer who came out and said the problem was at the exchange and off he went to fix it.  No sooner had he "fixed it" the broadband got worse.  This has been going on for months and months.  Everytime they fix the phone, my broadband breaks and no sooner they fix that, the phone breaks.  Last week I spoke to someone who said there wer a couple of "clamps on my broadband that needed removing and someone would come out and also give me a call.  When that did not happen I contacted them againand they new nothing about it and I got the same rehearsed speach that if someone came out and it was my fault, it would be £150.  I am at my wits end with them and the very slow broadband they supply. Any ideas?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

if you have a hh5 can you post the stats please

have you tried quiet line test?

can you post results from dslchecker

if you have extension sockets in other rooms then using the test socket with filter eliminates these from causing the problem making it very unlikely that problem is in your hone thus avoiding the charge of £129.99

test socket shown by black arrow  test-socket-thumb.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mickeym
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

BT Infinity FAST just got S-L-O-W-E-R . The System is screwed against us. I Have been with them for 2 years on Infinity 2. First 8 months  steady 75Mbs, but for the last year dropping bit by bit to 62Mbs download, BUT wait, 2 days ago dropped another 10Mbs down to 52Mbs, all I can get out of BT is that it is in the tolerance level for infinity 2 (40-75 Mbs). My estimated speeds when I joined on my contract was 66Mbs give or take a megabyte either way. But it seems when your contract is up and you start a new contract for the same Infinity 2, This is when BT decides to give you a much lower speed. How are they able to do this, is it in India or at my Wymondam Norfolk exchange.

I have been on this forum before with this problem, but NO ONE here or at BT, CAN, OR ARE WILLING to give me an answer as why this is happening. I have the BT Speedtester printouts to back the speeds up. Yours' Screwed with no answers.

0 Ratings
Brutus
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Bt installed the hub, I sould have mentioned I am disabled and cannot get down to check the socket myself.  Bt installed the hub downstairs in the bedroom.  The main place of useage is in the lounge upstairs.  I have connected the hub downstairs to a laptop.  Despite my requests bt just keep asking me to go downstairs then upstairs then down till eventually I giv up.  What I want to know is this, What are the acceptable ranges for Bt infinity 2 to operate in.  When I signed up it was 76mbps.  After a period a lady told me it was 38mbps now they are telling me its 31mbps.  November and the begining of December it was 18mbps.  Mid December to the end of January it was around 7mbps. Today its around 28 as I stated. Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

0 Ratings
Brutus
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Im not sure I understand what you mean.  When I run the test I enter my number.  Can you or anyone else tell me what the speeds are for HH5, I am about 40 yards from the exchange.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

@Brutus wrote:

Im not sure I understand what you mean.  When I run the test I enter my number.  Can you or anyone else tell me what the speeds are for HH5, I am about 40 yards from the exchange.

IMJ means delete the number from the screenshot before posting. Doesn't matter how close to the exchange you are, it is the distance to the cabinet that matters for Infinity.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

If you use the dslchecker link I posted then enter your phone number which then show what options are available to you and post the results but make sure as this is a public forum that you delete your phone number

can you go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post the router stats