cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Slow speedes and connection issues within home network as well as the Internet.

Hi.

I have the black home hub and the white modem... So it's not the latest equipmet. I have to restart the router a couple of times a day due to the following problems......

Slow connection to the Internet and unable to play video etc.
Also I'm unable to locate my Apple TV for AirPlay as well as locate my chromecast.

I've not done any real testing apart check the wifi channels in this area and the channel I use seems the be the best option.
I'm assuming there is a problem with the BT hub, as when I reset it my iPads find the Apple TV when the BT hub has been restarted. My chromecast then also works a bit better and general web browsing may work a little better for a while.

It looks like my BT Hub is slowing my LAN down as connection is not being made to the Chromecase or the Apple TV is not found.

What do I need to do now? Can I have one of the new BT Hubs please?

Thanks,
Ian.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Slow speedes and connection issues within home network as well as the Internet.

Hi Ian_watson

Thanks for posting, that does sound like a wireless problem as restarting the hub refreshes the wireless channel but this is not recommended as the restarts may cause DLM to think there is a fault on your connection and slow it down.

Have you tried manually changing the channel and switching off smart set up in the hub manager to see if this helps?

Alternatively if you need to refresh the wireless channel try these steps instead of restarting the hub.

1. Enter http://bthomehub.home in your web browser
  2. If this is the first time you have visited the Hub Manager you'll be asked to change the password.
  3. Click on Settings and enter your password if required.
  4. Click on Wireless.
  5. In the Wireless Channel section click on Refresh.
  6. The Hub will check the wireless channels and after about a minute will have chosen the best one.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Re: Slow speedes and connection issues within home network as well as the Internet.

Thanks for the reply.

Yestarday I did a factory reset and I'm now getting 50 down and 10 up on my iPad. Before I used WEP encryption due to an old audio streamer, but now it's on WPA the network has the ability to work faster. I'll may be able to hard wire my old Roku Suoundbridge into my network.

So now in getting a faster internet speeds as well as my home networking very fast. 🙂

Thanks for the info about restarting the hub vs just restarting the wireless part. Maybe putting a restart button in an easy place on the side of the hub can encourage over use of this feature.

Regards,
Ian.
0 Ratings
Sage
Message 4 of 9

Do yourself a favour and buy a decent router and stick with the modem. Far less hassel than a HH5.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Hi.

I dont have the HH5, I have the HH3.
What router do you reccomend?

Thanks.... 

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 6 of 9

Have a look here.

There's plenty to chose from depending on preference and budget.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

That didn't last long 😞

I've not added any other devices since my last reply and this morning my wifi speed was less than 0.5mb. It's was unusable until I changed my wifi channel to one channel and then back. Couldn't find the wifi restart, so I thought changing to another channel and back.

Is anyone able to help me please? It looks like my home hub is faulty.

Thank you. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

I would endorse pippincp's recommendation above.

Edit: Alternatively for a replacement one box solution, have a look at the TP Link TD-W9980 or Billion 8800n. Both about £70

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Thanks for the advice regarding a replacement. I'll look into it. But for now I'll setting it up to power wifi off then on every morning at 0300.
0 Ratings