cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RyDav
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Slow speeds & disconnects (BT Infinity)

Hi, Im sure similar posts have been made plenty of times but I can't really find any solutions on the board. I recently had BT Infinity installed and and had an, Openreach modem and BT home Hub 3 set up with ethernet connections. When the engineer was around he made a few alterations to my phone sockets (not sure what) and when it was all set up and running he showed me speeds of 49mb and said it would likely go up to 52mb within next few days.

My speeds currently are at 20-25mb and I get short disconnects very often, but the lights on the modem/ router don't flash orange it just seems to freeze and drop connection for a moment (very annoying). The only possible thing I can think of i've done that might cause problems is I didn't leave my router/ modem of for the first 3 days straight as I was never instructed too. Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Slow speeds & disconnects (BT Infinity)

It may be that turning the model off/on during initial few days did cause DLM (Dynamic Line Management) to put you on a slower speed.  If so, and if you leave things fairly stable now, it should gradually pick up to the same speed it would have chosen from initial training.  It will just take a little longer (maybe three weeks or so).

The blips could be DLM deciding you need to have your speed changed and forcing a reconnection.  Once things are stable that should stop.  If it is happening because of a problem on your line, then it will continue and you will need to contact service.

While things are settling in it is worth disconnecting and reconnecting the router (not modem) every morning; best done using the web page at  http://192.168.1.254/ ; but you can power off/on or use reset if you prefer.  That will make sure that the speed the DLM allows the modem/cabinet connction is reflected in the IP/BRAS profile speed.

As long as your speed is adequate for now, I suggest you wait until about a month from install leaving the modem on and reconnecting the router daily (as above).  See how things go.  If they havn't improved by then, post back or contact service.

0 Ratings
RyDav
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Slow speeds & disconnects (BT Infinity)

Very helpful thank you! I'll see how it pans out then since it's not crippling my connection with particularlly bad speeds right now. Thanks again!

0 Ratings