Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattlondon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Slow speeds during the evening & weekends

Go to solution

Just got upgraded to 70/20mbps.  Since the upgrade real-world download speeds have been worse than pre-upgrade, and various speedtests come out at about 30ish mbps down, 19ish up.  Same issue when wired directly into the router or via wireless.  Windows, Linux and Android clients all suffer the same slowdowns at peak times.  Off-peak things are much better and I get 65-68/19 according to various tests.

Considering that things are only slow during peak times, I am presuming that there are congestion issues? Or was the hidden "cost" of the free upgrad to 70/20 that I would end up on some traffic-managed slow connection that throttles my download speeds at the times I need it most?

Various diagnostic screenshots attached.

router.png

btw.png

btw.png

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Slow speeds during the evening & weekends

Go to solution

Can you post full stats from advanced settings then technical log. Which exchange are you on as that information is missing from dslchecker result

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Also could you also rerun the speed test then when the first test has finished click on the Further Diagnostics button. They result of that second test will be stored on BTWholesale's server should the mods need further info.

0 Ratings
shamus1
Expert
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

there seems to be a lot of complaints about speed since the free upgrade something going on somewhere.

0 Ratings
mattlondon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Sure.  Speeds down to 20mbps now.  Getting worse as the night goes on and more people watch Netflix I guess?  

Exchange is Golders Green - NW11

192.168.1.254-0000016400-gui-.png

speedtest.btwholesale.com-.png

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

You are syncing at 78 Meg, near the max. you can get. It's your throughput that is slow. It looks like peak-time congestion at your exchange. London exchanges can get congested.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Yep - the line is descent, but speeds post the free 70mbps upgrade are worse than they were before the upgrade.

Either they've under-calculated their upstream needs in the exchanges and things have just by coincidence got significantly and rapidly worse in the past week or two, or they've started traffic shaping (..assuming they weren't already)

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

There is no traffic shaping so certainly looks like case of congestion

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

@mattlondon wrote:

speeds post the free 70mbps upgrade are worse than they were before the upgrade.

Yes, it's all those Infinity 1 users in Golders Green who were hitting its cap being now released to consume many more Megs bandwidth, up to 25 Meg per such user.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Tested at about 6:30am this morning.  Speeds back to 70-72mbps down, 19mbps up. 

I expect that from 6pm this evening to midnight sunday speeds will be down to low 20mbps again though based on previous experience over the past week or two.

0 Ratings