Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Slow speeds on BT Infinity

Hi All,

I recentely moved home and started a new BT Contract. We were promised speeds of 50mbs minimum, but we're lucky to break 25mbs. This morning it was as little as 2.5mbs!! It's made working from home next to impossible.

Luckily I changed over to 50mhz and managed to get the download up to 28.45 and upload to 17.66.

I spoke to BT Helpline but they said there was no fault on the line so I'd have to get an engineer out and pay the £130 if it was an internal fault.

Seeing as it's BT supplied equipment, and the old home owners assure us there was no fault 3 weeks ago (We get along with them well and they have no reason to lie. They've been truthul about other faults), I feel wary of agreeing to this. I've found many horror stories of being being charged when they were assured they wouldn't be.

We had this same conversation 3 weeks ago when the internet wouldn't start on day one. It turned out it was a faulty DSL cable supplied by BT so I managed to save myself £130 by switching the cable to one given to us by BT the previous year.

Any advice?

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Beginner
Message 2 of 11

Re: Slow speeds on BT Infinity

change to Virgin

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Counting down the days on the 18th month contract...

The helpline has been anything but. Just talking me through the troubleshooting already available on the website.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 16.54.12.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 16.53.11.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-01 at 16.55.13.png

Thanks for any help John, it's really appreciated!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

was it a self install are you connected to the test socket ? as you are well below the estimate
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Hi John,

It was a self install, because the advisor said we could just plug in and go as it was already set up from the previous owners.

I've run it from the test socket and got no change. This is from the master socket of the house.

Thanks
Liam
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Hi John,

Just reran out of the test socket and got some much better results! 

Download 61.07 and Upload 17.6

Liam

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

thats better you appear to have some interior wiring problems with your extensions that need looking at
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Thanks John. I don't suppose that's something you could speculate on? As in, would I need to pay the £130 for the engineer or would it be BT?

Thanks for all the helo.

0 Ratings