cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
springett
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Slow upload speed

Hi. We recently had Infinity installed (a month or two ago) and the speeds weren't what they were meant to be. BT sent an engineer out last week. The engineer did a lot of cable management and sorted out our terrible master socket. Since then, our download speeds are hitting what they're meant to be.

The problem is the upload speed is barely 1Mb, which is lower than what it was before the engineer came and also outside of the range that the DSL checker says we can receive. I asked the engineer if what he was doing would sort the upload speed out and make it faster as it was already quite slow (slower than when we weren't even on fibre) and he seemed quite sure it would. I had to go out before he finished so I didn't get to check it until later when he was gone.

Is there anything that can be done to increase my upload speed? I do quite a lot of work at home which needs a faster upload speed than this.  

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
springett
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Slow upload speed

Considering I never got a reply to this, I guess I'll ask in a clearer way. Is it possible to be receiving a downstream service from within the CLEAN range, and an upstream service from the lowest end of the IMPACTED range? Surely they're the same line, why are they so different for me? 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Both up and down speeds look like they fall in 'B' impacted

can you post stats from advanced settings then technical log

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
springett
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

They do both fall in the impacted range, but there's a crossover between 16.5 and 18.1. Either way, my point is the download is definitely not at the lower end of impacted unlike the upload. It's either the lower end of clean or the higher end of impacted. How is it that the upload doesn't follow the same pattern?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@springett wrote:

How is it that the upload doesn't follow the same pattern?

Upload and download use different portions of the frequency spectrum utilised and will be affected differently.

A VDSL signal consists of some 4000 tones or discrete frequencies and each tone carries a number of bits of the signal. Below is a graph of my signal, red is download frequencies and green is upload. As you can see, different frequencies carry differing number of bits depending on interference and attenuation of the signal.

bitspertone.jpg

0 Ratings
springett
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

So is there anything I can actually do to increase the upload speed? The engineer said it would definitely increase but it hasn't.

0 Ratings