Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevo5678
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Slow wireless but fast wired

Hi all, hopefully someone can help.

I have been getting lower speeds on my laptop for a few weeks now.  I'm getting 50+mb into the house but only max 15mb to the laptop and my phone. It often drops down to below 10 and sometimes 2! 

Ive reset the modem and the infinity box on many occasions which helps get the speed back up to 13-15 when it's dropped to 2mb.  I've re-installed the bt software and have power cycled everything with no success.

I only recently tried the wited connection and it gets 50+mb.

I wondered if it was my wireless card which is an atheros and my laptop is an i5 acer so fairly new.  I've just ordered a wirless dongle to see if it helps.  The current atheros card does not seem to support and 'n' connection.

I've installed and run inssider and the best link score I can get is around 55-65.  I have no idea how to understand the inssider graph but guess this is not great.

I would really appreciate some advice.  Oh I am considering buying a home hub 4.0 as I am using the 3.0 version.

Many thanks

Steve

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Slow wireless but fast wired

Don't keep resetting the modem. This could cause the DLM (Dynamic Line Management) to interpret this as a faulty line and lower your speeds.

Wireless speed will usually be slower than a wired connection. If you are getting the same sort of wireless speed on both your phone and your laptop this would tend to rule out the wireless card on your laptop.

It could be that if you turned off the smart wireless on the home hub and select a fixed channel it would improve.

As you have already downloaded inSSider you need to run it and look for the channel that has the least amount of networks on it. Once you have found this you need to set the homehub to that channel.

See link how to change channel

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/~/how-do-i-change-the-wireless-channel-on-my-bt...

You may find an improvement on your laptop with a wireless dongle but this won't help your phone connection. Have a good read through the forum about the wireless performance of the HH4 before you decide to buy one. You may be better to buy another make of router. 

0 Ratings
stevo5678
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.  I have changed channels and it doesn't make much difference.  Would you expect the HH4 to get a better speed?  I'm getting around 30% of my wired speed - is that standard?

Note that the resetting soesn't seemed to have lowered speeds as the line connection in is still 50+mb.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

also you do not need the BT software as it can in some cases cause more problems than it solves
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

In theory the HH4 5Ghz should give better speeds but only if your devices can use that frequency. If you have ordered a dual band wireless dongle then the laptop should be able to use both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies so should be faster.

You would need to check if your phone is dual band. If it is, connecting to the 5GHz frequency should improve the speed but the wireless range is not as great as the 2.4Ghz frequency.

Wireless speed of 30% is not unusual. It is difficult to say what speed you should get on wireless because there are so many variables such as wireless interference, distance from router, type of property etc.

0 Ratings
MikeP_UK
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

A lot depends on the distance between the receiving device and the HH. It is typical for the 5 GHz band to have quite short range and especially if the signal has to pass through solid walls, etc. The 2,4 GHz band generally gives better range.  802.11g is restricted to a maximum speed of 54 Mbps whereas 802.11n cant go up to 300 Mbps if you have suitable equipment. AFAIK the HH only have a single aerial so cannot manage MIMO and hence is restricted to a maximum of 150 Mbps at best.  Again solid walls and the like can limit range. Worth noting, too, that the further away from the base station you are the weaker the signals and therefore slower transfer rates.

My brother has a dual band router/modem and 5Ghz is viable only for about 10 feet maximum, beyond that the 2.4 MHz band is better. I use Ethernet mainly and that gives me 100 Mbps reliably to connected devices, but is no good for mobiles, tablets, etc.  So we have an 802.11n Access Point as well and that gives acceptable results but never the maximum of 300 Mbps.

0 Ratings