Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HaroldTheHairy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Slow wireless speed

Go to solution

OK, So I've had Infinity for a couple of months and I must have called the tech helpdesk in India 20 times. The basic problem is that when I plug an Ethernet cable in I get the promised speed of 37MB. If I unplug the cable that drops to 5-10MB. If I take the laptop into the next room then it goes down to 2-3MB. Upstairs? Forget it. The further away from the router you get the slower the speed becomes.

The tech guys have talked me through switching channels on the router, they're even replaced the router but it hasn't made any difference.

Please can someone tell me if I should expect this kind of speed drop off with a wireless connection?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
corsag19
Message 2 of 13

Re: Slow wireless speed

Go to solution

Welcome to BT....................

I am currently experiencing this problem although i havent tried with the cable.  To be fair i have been receiving the full download and upload speeds (inbetween no service at all) and they have only dropped in the last week.

Let me know how you get on with India.  Apparently they are monitoring my situation for a few days....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

@HaroldTheHairy wrote:

OK, So I've had Infinity for a couple of months and I must have called the tech helpdesk in India 20 times. The basic problem is that when I plug an Ethernet cable in I get the promised speed of 37MB. If I unplug the cable that drops to 5-10MB. If I take the laptop into the next room then it goes down to 2-3MB. Upstairs? Forget it. The further away from the router you get the slower the speed becomes.

The tech guys have talked me through switching channels on the router, they're even replaced the router but it hasn't made any difference.

Please can someone tell me if I should expect this kind of speed drop off with a wireless connection?

Yes, wireless networks generally perform very badly. The stated speed can usually only be achieved when the distance between the stations is short.

If all your devices are capable of wireless "n", then speeds can improve slightly.

The best way to carry the Ethernet signal, without running cables, is to use Powerline devices.

Part of my article about wireless boosting mentions this Wireless boosting

You mat be able to speed things up by disabling wireless "n", if none of your devices support it.

I have another document concerning wireless, that may help with connection problems. Wireless Help

Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

@HaroldTheHairy wrote:

Hi, the short answer is yes, the HH is not the best wireless router.

The number of nearby users using the same channel as yours could easily effect it , as can any near by elecrical goods, the number and type of walls in your home can effect it.

I do not use wireless unless it is absolutely needed.I once had a wireless router in the lounge, 3 foot away in the hall was a PC with a toughened glass door seperating them. With the door closed the wireless signal was Okay, with the door ajar the signal was c**p. That was just the angled glass door deflecting the signal.

You can try different wireless routers, or maybe Home plugs .

toekneem

(EASBF)

Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

There is alsp the following to consider.

Atheros Wireless Card Issues

If you have Atheros based wireless adapter then try the following.

The issue is due to a lack of updates to the Atheros cards : The Drivers can be downloaded from multiple sources to resolve this - Most people will need the 7.6 or 7.7 drivers to resolve the issue. http://www.atheros.cz/

1) Windows Update

The Atheros Drivers are only marked as an OPTIONAL update in windows update so you need to manually download this by going to update.microsoft.com.

2) Download Drivers From Manufacturers Website

If the Windows update option does not work OR is not available for you then you will need to visit the manufacturers website for your PC/Laptop and search for your model number. Manufacturers regularly have links to the latest available drivers for you device so download and install the latest Wireless drivers.

Here is a list of popular Manufacturers Support site links :

ACER: http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/downloads.html **
ASUS: http://support.asus.com/
SONY: http://esupport.sony.com/
TOSHIBA: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp?nav=download
HP: http://welcome.hp.com/country/uk/en/support.html
LENOVO: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do?country=uk
COMPAQ: http://www.compaq.com/country/uk/en/

** Some ACER models only have the 7.3 version of the Atheros driver available for them. If this is the case you will need to refer them to the vendor or to try the generic drivers for their card from Atheros

PC
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

I'm using wireless and very pleased with it's speed. Approx 20 feet from the HH3 through one plasterboard wall.

Picture of todays speed below.

In my post HERE it showes the laptops network centre information identifying the wireless connection speed difference between g and n. (By pressing the details box it will give further details in description.... b/g or b/g/n).

When I discovered my two year old HP Laptop Pavillion DV7 using windows 7 was only capable of working on wireless g!!!!!

I put an Edimax USB wireless n adapter Like THIS in. My Speedtest comparison results of g and n at bottom of THIS POST.

Note the mini size doesn't stick out too much and there is an even smaller Nano version.

I think the third larger size version would stick out too much imho.

There are many other suppliers of course as HERE.

Microsofts 10 tips to help improve your wireless network

BT Help My wireless connection keeps dropping.

BT Help Changing Wireless Channels on Home Hub.

Windows Free Wireless Scanner to help identify a good/least congested wireless channel to move to.

PC Pro wireless killer info.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

HaroldTheHairy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the tech guys in India to get back to you. In my experience it's very unlikely to happen.

0 Ratings
HaroldTheHairy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. I'm really not very technical so most of your suggestions are a bit beyond me I must admit... Looks like I'm stuck with a rubbish service

BT: This makes me really angry!!

I had several conversations with the salesperson that called me to sell me Infinity. I even had a couple of chat's with her supervisor about what sort of speeds I would see from the service. They were both fully aware that I only have a laptop so I'd clearly only be using infinity wirelesly. At no time though did either of them suggest that I'd get anything other than 37.5MB.

I feel like I've been conned into buying a product which really doesn't suit my needs.

Anyone from BT care to comment on your dubious sales tactics???

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution
HaroldTheHairy

wireless whether using infinity or ordinary broad band will never give the same as a wired connection regardless of router used
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@HaroldTheHairy wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. I'm really not very technical so most of your suggestions are a bit beyond me I must admit... Looks like I'm stuck with a rubbish service

BT: This makes me really angry!!

I had several conversations with the salesperson that called me to sell me Infinity. I even had a couple of chat's with her supervisor about what sort of speeds I would see from the service. They were both fully aware that I only have a laptop so I'd clearly only be using infinity wirelesly. At no time though did either of them suggest that I'd get anything other than 37.5MB.

I feel like I've been conned into buying a product which really doesn't suit my needs.

Anyone from BT care to comment on your dubious sales tactics???

As Keith mentioned "The best way to carry the Ethernet signal, without running cables, is to use Powerline devices".

And Tony suggested "or maybe Home plugs".

These are the same thing and are very easy to use.

You plug a small unit (a bit like a time switch), into a mains socket near your Home Hub 3 (HH3).

You connect this unit to your HH3 with an ethernet cable.

You then go upstairs plug another unit into a mains socket near where you want to use your laptop.

You then connect an ethernet lead from this unit to your laptop.

So effectively eliminating wireless and using a handy way to get your ethernet to another part of the house.... in a "special" wired way.

The homeplugs/poweline devices have speed ratings you need the 200Mbps or higher version to get the best present Infinity speed.

If you click on THIS it will take you to pictures of these devices.

And at the bottom of the page are a few videos..... If you watch the video at the bottom right that shows you another variation.

The unit you plug into say upstairs can have a built in wireless so you wouldn't have to connect a cable to your laptop.... you could have the homeplug unit plugged into a socket at the top of your stairs and that could give you a better wireless connection to all your bedrooms.....

I used to have a friendly Currys shop in my town and would pop around to discuss and get help for things like this... sadly it's closed.

And maybe these could be tried under the 16 day return offer at Argos.... but you would have to check with them that the product isn't exempt.... it didn't look like it on the one I just looked up.

I haven't added any links to these shops products as they may get removed by the mods... but hopefully the suggestions for guidance will be allowed to remain.

Just some ideas.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)