cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Slower ADSL since bad storms last weekend

Go to solution

I used to get a fairly good solid 7.5 to 8 Mb/s on ADSL.  The SNR margin was reported at 6 dB.  

Last weekend there were very bad thunderstorms here, wich caused some instability.   Now I am getting under 5 Mb/s.  I notice the SNR margin has increased to 12 dB.

Will BT's systems reduce the SNR margin automatically and restore better performance, that the line, is capable of, or do I need to find out if I can get the line reset?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Slower ADSL since bad storms last weekend

Go to solution

Please read  Why has my speed dropped

You will need to connected to BT Broadband to access any links I post which are hosted on my website..
If you are connected to BT Broadband, and you cannot access them, then please let me know on this thread. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

if your connection is now stable then the noise margin will start to reduce down to normal 6db with corresponding increases in connection speed  this should be automatic

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

It's now around 12 days with a stable connection since the bad strosm caused SN margin to increase to 12 dB, before that it was stable for months at 6 dB.

DLM is very quick to slow lines down but very slow to improve them again.  Would it be possible to get a DLM reset please?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Can you post the stats from your router please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
Interface :
wan-wan2
Type :
ADSL
Firmware version :
05-07-02-08-00-01
Tx Cells :
Rx Cells :
Tx CRC errs :
Rx CRC errs :
Mode :
G.dmt Annex A
State :
SHOWTIME
UpSpeed :
DownSpeed :
SNR Margin :
Loop Att :
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @ccarmock Sorry your connection has slowed since the stormy weather.

We will be happy to have a look at your connection if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @ccarmock I can see that you have sent over your details. Once you reach the top of the queue one of the team will be in touch with you after the weekend.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you John

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @ccarmock Thanks for taking my call earlier and just to confirm that I have placed an order to reset the SNR margin. This will complete in the next 24 hrs. Post back and let us know how your connection is after this has completed. 

Cheers
John

0 Ratings