Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hero9989
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Slower connection on my netbook than any other PC in the house

Go to solution

Hi, We got Infinity installed earlier in the week and it's amazing. I'm having one small problem, it's not really a huge deal but I thought I'd see what people say anyway.

My desktop PC (with a netgear WN111 v2 USB wifi dongle), when downloading, downloads at about 3.8MB/s, my netbook however (ASUS 1201n) is lucky if it hits 2MB/s downloading the same file.

It's not a signal issue as my desktop is kept at the opposite side of the house and on another floor to my router and I usually use my netbook in the same room as the router. 

Are there any other things that could cause this drop in speed? Is my netbook not powerful enough to maintain the transfer speed? It has me totally stumped, I can't think of any real reason why it's happening.

Like I said, not a huge deal but it is bugging me quite a bit...

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
LindaS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Slower connection on my netbook than any other PC in the house

Go to solution

Connect the netbook to the router with the ethernet cable and see if it gets maximum speed.

It's more than likely because they're using a poor wireless card in it, one of my laptops wireless maxes out at 2MB/s even if it's sitting next to the router. The same laptop easily hits 4.5MB/s when connected via an ethernet cable though so it's just the card in the laptop.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Hero9989
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

You were right... Tried using ethernet and it went just as fast as my desktop, may have to look at getting me a new wifi card for my netbook!

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

@Hero9989 wrote:

You were right... Tried using ethernet and it went just as fast as my desktop, may have to look at getting me a new wifi card for my netbook!

Thought of updating the drivers? Especially if it is an Atheros card.

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php

0 Ratings