cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevemccallum71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 15

Re: Slower than Slow McSlow - master socket?

Ok. So just back from a frustrating day at my Dad's trying to fathom out his wiring. I've been up ladders, in lofts and down crawl spaces...and am unfortunately, not a huge amount wiser that I was before I went.

I attempted to follow the dual wire from the external BT junction box (first pic - pink circle) inside the house to see where they went.

As sods law will have it, they seem to be routed through the roof eaves/canopy at the front of his house - (red line on image 2).

Without pulling down all the boards underneath the canopy, I have no way of finding out what happens at the end of that wire. From what I've gleamed on this forum, it seems extremely unlikely that this wire leads to a concealed master socket within the roof eaves - that would be madnesss right (?).

Based on there being no visible master socket within the house,  I feel it's not unreasonable to assume at some point within the roof cavity there is a star wired scenario that sends the separate extension wires off in different directions around the house - is that a fair assumption?

So, my question is this: based on the fact that continuing to search for the wire is going to mean an awful lot of time, cost & destruction, would it not be simpler to get BT to come and run a brand new wire from the external junction box, to a new location within the house, where a master socket can be fitted? My Dad would then plug his router into this master, along with his landline telephone and everything should be ok, or am I being naive? I understand that this would render the current internal phone sockets redundant - this isn't an issue/problem for my Dad. All he need is decent broadband and one cordeless phone.

I'd really appreciate some advice on this. I understand it's probaly not considered a 'routine socket change' from a BT Engineer's perspective and I'd like to be as clued-up as I can on exactly what it is that I'm asking for when I put in the engineer request. It would also be great to at least have an idea of what I should expect this to cost. I've read about some pretty extravagant charges for simple socket changes, so am obviously cautious on my Dad's behalf.

In very basic terms, if we could get a new wire rund from the pink circle in picture 3, along the roof, along the side of the house to the green circle - that would be ideal...is that just a wild and crazy dream, or will we be looking at silly money? Just trying to guage the most practical, sensible apprach to solving this.

Many apologies for the over-lebgthy description and many thank in advance of any advice.

Cheers

Steve

0 Ratings
stevemccallum71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 15

PS: And apologies for all the dreadful typos.:)

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 15

From a technical viewpoint your suggestion is eminently sensible. I suspect cost will be £130 to get Openreach (via BT) to do it but could be wrong about that.

0 Ratings
stevemccallum71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 15

Just thought I'd post an update. After numerous discussions with BT and assurances that there were no problems 'their end', it was concluded that the problem must lie within the house and its wiring. An Openreach engineer was scheduled to vist, with a view to running a new wire from the junction box on the side of the house to a new master socket within the house.

Engineer came. Conducted some tests. Inspected the junction box on the side of the house. Had a poke around in the cabinet box up the street. He concluded that there was no point in him fitting a new socket/cable as he was getting no indication whatsoever that it would rectify the problem.

Back to square 1.

I got onto BT and a very helpful lady raised it as a priority issue and referred me to an individual case worker who was going to investigate the problem. After lengthy conversations, I was advised that there were a number of things we should try before committing to new wiring. The first being splitting the router signal to dual frequenceies. I knew this wouldn't make any difference as my Dad's computer is connected via ethernet cable, but figured we needed to do the dance in order to proceed.

Anyway, my brother goes to my Dads ready to split the signal and finds that the broadbandhas miraculously gone from download speeds of .5mbs (good day) 0.1mbs (bad day) to around 2mbs download and 1mbs upload - I know these are hardly lightning fast, but compared to the non-service he was getting, a massive leap forward. I don't expect that we can get much better that this. I've spoken with my dad's neighbour, also with BT and he tends to get between 2 & 3mbs, so it would seem my Dad's speed is up to the local norm.

My Dad's running speedtests twice a day and so far, we've had 5-6 or similar speeds...it seems reasonably stable. So, if things stay like this, it could be 'problem solved'...though it does beg the question 'what changed?' BT were insistent that there were no issues outside the house, therefore it must be inside - we've changed nothing indoors and it's too much of a coincidence that it's suddenly 'fixed itself' without intervention. What's the likely scenario here?

Many thanks inadvance?

Steve

0 Ratings
stevemccallum71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 15

Further update. My Dad has been runniing speed checks twice a day for a week now and hius downloads speeds are slowly creeping back down.

Last Saturday he was getting:

Download = 2.08mbs
Ping = 13
Upload =.94mbs

This has incrementally fallen each day and yesterdays results x 3 were:

D/L = .9mbs / .92mbs/ .79mbs
U/L = .93mbs/ .92mbs/ .93mbs
PING = 87 / 14 / 329....

His upload speed seems to have remained the same throughout and to be honest, was never the problem...it's these sketchy download speeds. What has atleast been proven over the last week is that my Dad's current wiring is more than capable of delivering 2mbs+ - so what on earth is happening BT end for this to fluctuate so badly?

Thanks

Steve

0 Ratings