I've just had my phone line and ADSL enabled today but it seems to be the slowest ADSL ever. I know there is meant to be a stablisation period of 10 days but surely it shouldn't start off this slow. I've checked in the Hub Settings and it says this:
Surely it's not set to be at 128Kbps?
Every speed tester says its around 0.05 or 0.10 kbps...
Any advice or do I need to wait 10 days before they can do anything?
are you connected to the test socket? or have you tried the test socket?
I think that's just about the worst noise margin I've ever seen on a new Max line.
I'm dubious. And think I'd push for a line profile reset, training or not. 😉
But as an add-in to the OP, hope you clearly know you must not hinder the training period ....
And as IMJ has said .... you maybe need to go into the test socket to prove a point.
Just thought i'd post an update. It seems to have increased in speed today. Hopefully it'll get up to a speed closer to 8 Mbps. The BT speed checker says the line profile is set to 2Mbps and currently connecting at around 1.5Mbps so hopefully it'll increase if i leave the router turned on.
Thanks for your help.
that's max speed for adslmax and now just need to leave connection 24/7 and profile should rise from 2mb to 7.15mb. keep checking as it can sometimes get stuck at 2mb and you need mod help to fix it
Just thought i'd post the update to show my speed went up by itself. I restarted my router after plugging it into the test socket (just incase).
Today it's at:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 6.49
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM),
IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps