cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nigel27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Slowwwwwwwwwwww BT Broadband speed - BT failure to fix

I am on BT Option 3 package with up to 20Mb line speed with a distance of 4.3Km from the Ashford, Kent exchange.

The line speed has never been good, there was a fault at the exchange and even after upgrading the line the speed rarely went above 2.5Mb once it reached 3.45. Recently I have seen speeds of 0.13Mb, great, when I am paying full price for an up to 20MB service. BT seem totally disinteresed in fixing what is clearly a line fault external to the house, yet each time I contact them I am told to check the internal wiring first. Is there no history of previous faults retained. Why is the service from BTso bad. Is anybody else having the same problem?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Slowwwwwwwwwwww BT Broadband speed - BT failure to fix

welcome to the forum

can you post the adsl stats from your router and run btspeedtester and post the results. Someone may then be able to offer assistance

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mattpollard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

I have the same problem as you. around .13 (actually, last test was .06) speeds when am paying for 8 and exchange is upgraded to 20. Has been happening since a little over a week ago when I received an email from BT saying "your network has been upgraded" and that I would soon be enjoying faster speeds and better stability. I had always synced at 8 for the last year, had an IP profile of 7.150 and regularly got around 6.500 download speed. So that 'upgrade' resulted in a 90% decrease in speed.

As the end of my latest one-year contract is coming up in a few weeks time, I decided I'd had enough (this is not the first time I've had problems with BT - far from it), now was the time to change, and requested a MAC code to migrate to another ISP.

I don't know whether the huge drop in speed the last week or so was due to the 'upgrade' on the network (i.e. slowing me down because others a speeding up), or that they put you into a degraded circuit when you request a MAC (conspiracy theorist in me?), but I'm glad to be going in any event because the final response from BT about this was:

"[re the fault that was] raised to our supplier [I guess they mean BT wholesale] on your behalf. They have investigated extensively and have located the problem. It seems that there is a capacity issue on the circuit that your broadband is being supplied on. They are aware of this issue and are hoping to have this upgraded to increase the capacity. Unfortunately they are unable to discuss a time scale as to when this issue will be fixed. I appreciate that this e-mail will come as a disappointment and I am really sorry for that.
Wholesale will carry this work out but we just don't know when. I will continue to monitor the fault and will contact you if I have any more news."

Well, at least that send-off makes it very easy to say goodbye.

I have to say, though, that the moderators on this forum are excellent -- the most knowledgeable and helpful people I have encountered in my many hours of phone calls, emails and so on with various BT customer service and tech personnel over the last three years. It is a real pity the rest of the the company can't live up to the high standard the moderators here set for technical expertise and commitment to customer service. I might well not be leaving BT if it did.

0 Ratings
Nigel27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Here are stats from Homehub

Line stateConnected
Connection time1 day, 0:17:00
Downstream1,760 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)20.5 dB / 17.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)57.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)17.5 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)3
Loss of Signal (Local)24
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)7300 / 1
CRC Errors (Down/Up)525 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)521

Ran speed tester and result was Down 1317kps Up 334kps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

your noise margin of 20.5 is high as normal is about 6.  This would suggest noise on the line or frequent disconnections/resyncs maybe as a result of the noise.  Have you tried a quiet line test - dial 17070 then option 2 - your line should be silent apart from the announcement.  Is you hub connected to the master socket or better still the test socket behind the master socket. If the test socket that will eliminate any noise from internal extensions in your home - you will need to connect the filter and also a phone to keep your outside phone line.  At present you appear to have a profile of 1500 and a throughput of 1317 which is consistent with down sync of 1760

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Nigel27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Hi

Sounds like the usual copout from BT. Who did you decide to go to?

Regrds

Nigel

0 Ratings
Nigel27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Hi

I have eliminated any internal wiring problems by connecting directly to the test socket. I also have an iPlate.

My IP profile was set at !000k eralier on today!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

what was your profile when you last run with download of 1317?  Have you been connected to test socket since last stats?

0 Ratings
Nigel27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Hi

IP profile was 2000kps and have not connected to test socket since last stats.

0 Ratings