cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeGB
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Smart HH6 disappointing

We live in an old stone built house and wifi is very bad so thought would give a new smart hub a try but very disappointed with results.

Checked wifi coverage before connecting HH6 and then again after and can't really see any difference inside the house, it is perhaps getting one or two meters further in the back garden.

We have also lost about 2 Mbps on broadband speed, the test page the HH6 uses shows it only down a little but http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ (did test where it forwards results) and speedtest.net show it down quite a bit more, don't know if this might improve with time.

So wondering if it is possible that the HH6 we got is faulty as we have previously had a faulty HH5, didn't make any progress with a phone enquiry about it.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
JonTaylor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Smart HH6 disappointing

I've just switched from a HH5 to HH6 and got significantly better wi-fi. I've now turned off all but one wi-fi extender in the house. I wasn't expecting an improvement in broadband speed but that has also marginally improved. Not sure ehether that's really helpful to you though.

Jon

0 Ratings
MikeGB
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Have found we have another couple of problems with wifi. One laptop indicates it is connected to the 2.4 Ghz but does not have any internet connection also neither of our 5 Ghz capable laptops can find the 5 Ghz wifi. Tried seperating 2.4 and 5 Ghz SSID's but no difference. Win network trouble shooter does not help.

Broadband speed still down.

I understand there are A and B versions of the HH6, like the HH5, is there any difference as I heard the HH5 B was the better one.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

I've not heard of whether there's a HH6B, but I doubt it given the 6A has only been recently released. There is an FTTC and FTTP version of the Smart Hub, the FTTC version having four LAN ports and the FTTP version having three LAN ports and a WAN port. I've not heard whether the FTTP version is known as the HH6B though.

As for the HH5A and HH5B, opinions will vary as to whether the 5A or 5B was better. They use different chip sets for the modem, the 5A being Lantiq and the 5B being Broadcom, and the view seems to be that the 5B worked better on Huawei FTTC cabinets as the DSLAM in the cabinet also uses a Broadcom chip set.

It's quite possible the broadband speed of the HH6A is lower simply because the software that drives the modem is not mature at this stage given it's a new product. It could well be that speed will increase with later software versions, but only time will tell.

Regards

MikeGB
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Been trying to find any info about firmware versions on the HH6 but haven't come up with anything.

This one shows, "Firmware version: SG4B100021EC, Firmware updated: 12-May-2016"
Would anyone know if this is current or if there is a more recent one out that it might update to soon.

Also noticed it is saying, "BT Wi-fi status: Not active" - any ideas about that, it was active on the HH5.

Tried different wireless modes and am back on '1' but laptops can see 5 Ghz now at about 10 M but won't connect, they have to be in next room to HH6, about 6 or 7 M away, max, to connect.
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

The SG4B100021EC firmware seems to be latest. There was version SG4B100021D0, but that didn't last long. I've seen one post (Speed Frustration Query) on the forum where the hub showed firmware version SG4B100021F4, which would appear to be a later version but it's not clear at this time as it's the only reported instance.

For the BT Wifi status, others have reported the same as you're seeing. See BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements and BT smart hub 6 bt wifi question.

Regards

0 Ratings
MikeGB
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for the info, will hope something better ccomes out soon.

Went back to using an HH5 as an AP at the other end of the house and found that a laptop in the same room as the HH6 can see the HH5 5 Ghz signal but it can't find the HH6 5 Ghz signal when it is in the room where the HH5 is!

Broadband speed has dropped another meg

0 Ratings
DJFulford48
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Looking at other posts on this forum, there appears to have been a bad batch of Home Hub 6s sent out. Howwever the complaints department at BT do not want to admit this. I tried various ways to complain about a bad HH6. One member of the complaints team seemed to be trying to tell me that BT does not guarantee a wireless connection.

Anyway, I found the answer was to telephone the complaints depentment (seemed to be somewhere in India) and kept on complaining that my HH6 did not work. I gave up on explaining the details, they were not listening. They offered all sorts of excuses (I think they have been given a script for this). After about half an hour they gave in and said they would send a replacement.   

0 Ratings
MikeGB
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I also spent quite some time on the phone and 'chat' and got nowhere but filling an online complaints form in got a phone call from a young lady saying they would refund on return, though I suppose I will still have to pay their excessive delivery charge even though they sent me duff kit.

I did a test with the HH6 outside the house on a window sill and could not get a 2.4 Ghz signal at much more than 30 M in direct line of sight.

0 Ratings
mhegab
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Hi smf22,

Do you know if the Smart Hub 6 Type A is Lantiq/QC as was in HH5A, or all Broadcom is in HH5B?

Thanks

Mo

0 Ratings