cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alunhughes
Beginner
Message 11 of 15

Re: Smart Hub 6 not working

This forum is full of posts from people who have had terrible customer service, who have spent hours on the phone, have been told rubbish and even lied too, have been promised call backs that they've never received.  If a BT mod can't respond or unless a fellow customer has a magic wand, what else can I do other than cancel the direct debit?  The router which was promised as an enticement to get me to sign a new contract and is under warranty is faulty and I cannot get it repaired or replaced.  I am not a solicitor although I have a legal background (I read Law at University).  Many years after my time, but if BT try calling in debt collectors, they should familiarise themselves with The Consumer Rights Act (2015).

0 Ratings
alunhughes
Beginner
Message 12 of 15

Ok, a replacement Smart Hub 6 is on it's way and it took 10 minutes.  For anyone that is having similar issues...  I used webchat (the problem here is that obviously you need a working Internet connection).  I explained the situation and said that I was cancelling the direct debit if I didn't get a solution.  After security, the agent put me straight through to the "technical department" who did some checks while I watched the new Start Wars trailer with my son.  The next message I got was an order number.  Much less frustrating and time consuming than the utterly pointless BT Helpline.  Unfortunately, the feedback window didn't pop up as I would have liked to have left that person a glowing report.

I am wondering about the Smart Hub 6 though.  Unreliable and having gone back to my second hand Home Hub 5, both the Wi-Fi network speeds and range appear to be better - a good signal upstairs and in the garden where there was virtually nothing with either of our Smart Hub 6's.  Maybe neither were working correctly in the first place..?  We'll have a play when it arrives.

Alun

0 Ratings
trapdoor
Expert
Message 13 of 15

At the moment you REALLY do not want to install a SmartHub 6. The firmware is totally borked and whilst it may work for a week or so out of the box, as soon as the ACS updates your firmware (you have no choice in this matter) issues WILL start.

I have now installed a 3rd party router (TP-Link VR900) and my SmartHub 6 is winging its way back to BT and a complaint is open with BT over this, and despite continual phone calls asking me to close the complaint (that is their only interest) until they refund the £57.95 PLUS the additional £7.95 postage the cheeky sods charged me to send me a HH5 (because they wanted my old Hub back when they sold me the Hub 6 so I required them to send me a working ISP router) the complaint will stay open.

The best option if you really do want a SmartHub 6 is to leave it in its box until there is confirmation that a new and fully working firmware is being rolled out - if that ever happens. Probably BT will release a SmartHub 6 type B which works out of the box (until some future update) - and the type A's will never be fully sorted.

The TP-Link router isn't perfect (the latest firmware kills the BT TV functionality) but at least it can be fully configured and the old firmware rolled back - never an option with any of the BT products, and it is verging on criminal to make you renew contract just to fix or replace faulty ISP equipment - perhaps once out of contract BT should be required to ask permission to update firmware and router config because it surely cannot be a one-way thing? If BT break your equipment through a faulty update you haven't requested (and by definition it MUST be your equipment if they claim you have to pay to replace it if out of contract) then they should also have to replace it FoC.

0 Ratings
alunhughes
Beginner
Message 14 of 15

Thank you for that - very interesting and informative.

We've had Virgin in the past and to be fair, their helpline is equally useless and customer service just as bad.  Yes, I do feel we were taken advantage of and on that basis alone, we will be changing suppliers at the end of the contract.  Other than we live at the end of a bit of bell wire and BT have been saying cable is coming in 9 months for 2 years so it will all be down a BT line anyway.

I do believe BT are breaking regulatory guidelines at the very least and it's why I record all calls with them (don't even think to do it with anyone else)...  ...And the advertised capabilities of the Smart Hub 6 are outright mis-selling.

Alun

0 Ratings
teresasue
Contributor
Message 15 of 15

I totally agree I too have spent hours even most of the day this week contacting bt's USELESS help and for a huge company their customer services is terrible. We had a hh6 for 3 months been perfect then they shove this firmware update through and keeps dropping and useless Wi-Fi - yet bt continue to deny what they have done and say our router too is working perfectly. Yes a blue light but nothing happening. Fed up too
0 Ratings