cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
En1gma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Smart Hub 6a with non Infinity Broadband

Had a delivery of the latest 'BT Smart Hub'  (6a) Type A to replace 'Home Hub 4' - Type A  (but am NOT on BT Infinity)

Not able to get BTWiFi-with-FON  (as a Hotspot signal) for visitors (who are BT customers using their log in ID)

Spent hours yesterday talking to BT Broadband Support,  who just have no understanding, they eventually gave number for BT Connectivity who have no idea what to suggest,  got in touch with BT WiFi Hot Spot section who just again mis understand to what the issues is but say it will be OK in 48 hours etc, when I asked why ?  there was no clear reason that I understood, however they say I need to call BT Broadband Support or  150, wonderful 'merry go around'

Since I still had the Hub 4, re-connected it, you get BTWiFi-with-FON  signal,  as soon you connect the new Smart Hub the BTWiFi-with-FON disappears !

There are no advance setting on the Hub Manager  as the BTWiFi-with-FON is meant to be a default to ON settings

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Smart Hub 6a with non Infinity Broadband

the BTWIFI/FON network in HH6 is a known problem - see infinity board.  I got round it by going to BTFON page then opting out then back in again and my BTWIFI in hh6 was active in couple of days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
En1gma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

How come it still works when connecting the previous Hub 4 ?
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

the h4 works as it is logging into correcrt link whereas the h6 link is incorrect - if you read the posts on the infinity board thet explains the lnk problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
En1gma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Are you referring to this link to opt out / in ?

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/optin.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon_register
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

BT Wifi is a 2 part thing, the router and the wider network. Your router needs to physically broadcast the signal, and you also need to be opted in to log in to any broadcast signals. The HH6 appears to lack the physical signal. Opting out removes both capabilities but a router that is not transmitting the signal but hasn't been opted out doesn't prevent access from other hotspots hence your HH4 still works.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

the hh6 does broadcast the BTWIFI/FON network and BTWIFI-X but there is a problem which has already been highlighted on HH6 problems  as I said I opted out and then back in again and then my HH6 now should BTWIFI as active

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

According to message 81 in this thread, its not being transmitted. I can't see how it could be a hub problem otherwise, the hub doesn't authenticate the password.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 24

@licquorice

I certianily is being transmitted from my HH6 with firmware 21EC

from reading the hub problems it was more that the HH6 was looking in wrong place for BTWIFI authorisation not that hub cannot transmit BTWIFI - which again I emphasise my HH6 is

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

So are you saying that you can (could) connect to the signal but not get connected to the landing page in order to enter credentials?

0 Ratings