cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pawsden
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

Smart Hub BT Infinity

Hi. We just upgraded to BT infinity and were told to expect speeds of up to 55. We do get about 50 , or slightly under. Speed is not so much the issue as the Home Hub. I'm not sure it is connected properly. From time to time the hub just drops out. BT told us they thought we had a faulty hub and sent us a replacement (at this time the hub light still remained blue). The replacement worked better for a few days with no dropping out. Christmas day, the hub was dreadful.   If I tested the speeds via ethernet connection to PC, they were OK, but the signal to the PC and all wireless devices (even one not ten feet away from the hub) was causing lots of lag. I dont think it's just X Box live signal as the PC suffers from lag too. In our street there is only one other neigbour that uses fibre (and they were away). All the neighbours are very elderly and are unlikely to be using internet much, if at all. I re-booted the hub and then the light kept going in a loop from green, flashing amber, solid amber, back to green. After four times I tried a factory reset. It then no longer recognised its own pass key, and although the hub light was blue it wouldn't connect to anything, even the PC that is wired via ethernet connection and doesn't need the passkey. I got the old "faulty " hub back out and after two rounds of green, amber, flashing amber, it did go to blue. The signal was brilliant after this, but we have apattern of a few good days followed by hub breakdown so I was reading some threads on here and just wanted to check my set up. About 18 - 24 months ago Open Reach came out to try to find out why we had poor internet service. THey couldn't find anything wrong but they put an Open Reach "adaptor?" into where we used to have a splitter in the phone socket. He told us this would make us ready for infinity when we eventually got it. So the hub is now plugged into this. I'm not technical and don't know what this actually is. It has MK3 on it, the Open Reach brand name and it's a box that is split into two parts, one for the phone wire, and one for the broadband. Could it be a modem? Reading about home hub 5 on here. it says you shouldn't use the Open Reach modem, it just plugs into a phone line. I'm wondering if this could be the problem. This device doesn't just unplug, it's more permanently wired in by the looks of it. We have fibre to the cabinet by the way and live about 70 yards away from the cabinmet and 1/4 mile away from the exchange. Sorry to ask daft questions, but I'm not at all technical and trying to sort this out before our son spontaneously combusts! Thank you 🙂

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Smart Hub BT Infinity

The "adaptor" is just a built in filter/splitter so you don't need to use a dangly filter, it isn't a modem. It sounds as though you have got yet another faulty hub, all too common.

0 Ratings
Pawsden
Beginner
Message 3 of 21

LOL. OK. I don;t mind buying another hub. Is there a brand that works well with BT Infinity I should think about buying?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

If you only require single band wireless the TP-Link TD-W9970 is only about £30 from the usual sources and is virtually plug and play.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

Which one of these sockets is it?

Filtered sockets

0 Ratings
Pawsden
Beginner
Message 6 of 21

no 6

0 Ratings
Pawsden
Beginner
Message 7 of 21

I'm afraid I don't know. We have a PC, two X Boxes, I Pad, I phone and TV that uses BT Infinity, only the PC is plugged in. I don't understand single band?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

@Pawsden wrote:

I don't understand single band?

Wifi operates on 2 sets of frequencies, one in the 2.4Ghz band, the other in the 5Ghz band. The 2.4Ghz covers a greater distance but can be susceptible to interference from neighbouring signals for that very reason. The 5 Ghz band covers a shorter distance and is faster but not all devices can use it. For most people, lack of 5Ghz wireless is not a problem.

0 Ratings
Pawsden
Beginner
Message 9 of 21

Our home might be part of the problem then. It's a 70's build with solid walls throughout. Although it's a bungalow, not sure if that is positive or negative. I suspect we might need the 2.4 mhz, how would I find out what I am using? Thank you 🙂

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

@Pawsden wrote:

no 6

It should be connected like this Home hub to filtered socket

Is that how you have it connected?

0 Ratings