Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 47

Smart Hub & Whole Home WiFi

Go to solution

A few weeks ago, I upgraded to a Smart Hub. No issues setting up, it just didnt want to connect to my HP Envy Printer. No problem, I worked around that! I have just taken delivery of the new Whole Home Wifi and spent today attempting to set it up; a simple procedure! I used the App to ensure proper coverage and all seemed fine, until I tried to connect to the internet, via the Whole Home discs. At first it seemd OK but then became very problematic. I also discovered that the Smart Hub was not connecting properly to other devices attached to its ethernet ports; in particular, my Beoplay V1 Television, Apple TV and Devolo wireless extender (soon to be pensioned off, if the Whole Home can be made to work). All of these worked fine, before I connected the first disc of the Whole Home WiFi to the final ethernet port. I have tried all sorts of resets of both the Smart Hub and Whole Home WiFi, including factory but to no avail. Essentially, having now turned off the Whole Home WiFi and tried to get my system back to what it was before, I am now left with the wireless network from the Smart Hub but no internet throughout the rest of the house and no connectivity from the Smart Hub's ethernet ports.

I am out of ideas!

0 Ratings
46 REPLIES 46
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 47

Re: Smart Hub & Whole Home WiFi

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

I am not familiar with the Whole Home WiFi, but having a look at the info, it seems to be just a number of wireless repeaters, with all the problems that they cause.

Not sure why BT chose to market the product, as their existing home hotspots are a much better solution in my opinion, and cheaper as well, and don`t rely on the wireless signal from the home hub.

The smart hub has a number of issues which are well documented on this forum. Adding wireless repeaters to it, is asking for trouble.

Its possible that another forum member, who has this system, may be able to help. From a personal and technical point of view, I would not recommend it. There are much better networking solutions, including a proper router with external wireless aerials.

Edit:-

I have just seen the price of this, nearly £300 !!. I thought I had misread the price at first.

For that sort of money people could buy a high end consumer wireless router, plus a couple of additional wireless access points if they were needed.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 47

Go to solution

Thanks for that, Keith. I have my suspicions that the Whole Home connection (to one of the Ethernet ports) has scrambled the Smart Hub, as it no longer functions properly with any wired device. In my simple way, I assumed that a factory reset would at least re-establish the pre-Whole Home situation but sadly, that is not the case. You are quite correct that £300 is a lot to pay but having been quite happy, to that point, with the Smart Hub I (foolishly) assumed that I would end up with a seamless wireless/internet solution throughout the house. I am loth to try a call to the BT Help Desk, as that always raises my blood pressure to a critical level. So, I suppose I should cut my losses and look elsewhere for a solution to my requirements. 

Anybody want to buy a barely used BT Smart Hub and Whole Home WiFi system at a discounted price?

Any suggestions for a high end consumer wireless router with external wireless access points? I have a rather large and long house with several thick stone walls along the way!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 47

Go to solution

I would suspect the SmartHub firmware before necessarily blaming the WholeHome ... AFAIK you don't 'need' the WiFi on the SmartHub enabled when using the WholeHome as the first repeater gets connected to the router by Ethernet. So perhaps initially try to switch off the WiFi on the SmartHub.

Second thing I'd try is to replace the SmartHub with a proper router or failing that put a HH5 in, but again switch off its WiFi.

I was looking to install the WholeHome but was put off by the fact the things cannot be ceiling mounted - I wanted a semi-permanent installation on at least two of the three repeaters by installing on the ceiling(s) of our 3 landings.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 47

Go to solution

Even with the smart hub, the BT hotspot 600 kit seems to work, provided all your rooms are fed from the same consumer unit.

This is the arrangement my daughter users in her house, with the two hotspot option. They also give a couple of Ethernet ports as well on each remote unit. These have also been trialled by some of our members, prior to marketing.

http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/home-hotspots

These generate their own wireless hotspot, and do not simply repeat the one from the home hub, but do not use the option to clone the home hub settings.

Quite a few people are using the TP-LINK Archer VR600 AC1600 Mbps Wireless Dual Band VDSL/ADSL2 Gigabit Modem

9980.jpg

Its not the most expensive, but has three external wireless aerials which are more effective than internal aerials.

They would also work with the BT Hotspot 600, should you decide to try those with the smart hub first, so they would not go to waste.

There is plenty of support for this device within this user forum.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 47

Go to solution
This is what I should expect with being first in the queue for any technical 'innovation'! Yes, 'trapdoor' (you are quite correct in the way you describe the WholeHome's setup), I, too, believe that the problem lies with the SmartHub. I have yet to get around to switching off its WiFi, as that is currently my only means of connecting to the internet; a job for later today!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 47

Go to solution

@trapdoor wrote:

first repeater gets connected to the router by Ethernet.

So in effect, its no different than the hotspot 600 kit, in that you are only getting two extra wireless points, without any extra Ethernet ports?

The extra "discs" seem very similar to the wifi extenders that BT already supply, which rely on repeating an existing wireless signal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 47

Go to solution
I think this seems to be a similar concept to Devolo. Unfortunately, the far end of my house is on a different ring main, so, I think it would not work too well. I have to say that the wireless side of the WholeHome system is excellent! I get 14.5 Mb download at the business end of the house and the same at the farthest reach of the WholeHome; the issue is that it does not carry a consistent broadband signal, it's either all or (usually) nothing.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 47

Go to solution

The problem may simply be the "smart" hub, as @trapdoor has suggested. It behaves unpredictably under many situations.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 47

Go to solution

i see that Amazon have the Smart Hub at a discount from £100 to £67!

0 Ratings