Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 47

Re: Smart Hub & Whole Home WiFi

Go to solution

@Extankerman wrote:

i see that Amazon have the Smart Hub at a discount from £100 to £67!

Still too expensive by £67. They should actually pay people to take them away!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 47

Go to solution

It keeps people re-contracting, which is good for BT, as the hub costs very little to them, compared with the revenue generated.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 47

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

I am not familiar with the Whole Home WiFi, but having a look at the info, it seems to be just a number of wireless repeaters, with all the problems that they cause.

Not sure why BT chose to market the product, as their existing home hotspots are a much better solution in my opinion, and cheaper as well, and don`t rely on the wireless signal from the home hub.

The smart hub has a number of issues which are well documented on this forum. Adding wireless repeaters to it, is asking for trouble.

The APs that come as part of the BT Whole Home WiFi solution are not simply wireless repeaters, but use a wireless "mesh" technology in the same way as Google WiFi and Eero.

In a WiFi mesh there's at least one AP that's connected to the Wired network. This is called the Root AP. This, and all the other APs in the mesh, communicate with each other over a wireless "backhaul" to pass client traffic towards the root AP, and onto the wired network. The APs are intelligent enough to distribute the clients across the AP based on signal strength, load on an individual AP etc.

As per the other's who have replied I've not seen or touched the Whole Home WiFi, but I suspect the Home Hub is not capable of becoming part of the mesh. My recommendation would be to disable the Smart Hub WiFi and just use the Whole Home WiFi.

Regards

Extankerman
Contributor
Message 14 of 47

Go to solution

OK, chaps! Thank you for the advice and it looks like turning off the wifi on the Hub is the next step. I know this sounds dumb but if I disable the wifi and the ethernet ports are not working properly, how can I turn the wifi back on, if I need to?

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 47

Go to solution
The Ethernet ports don't normally have issues, but if they do you can do a factory reset on the Hub and the WiFi would be working again.
0 Ratings
Extankerman
Contributor
Message 16 of 47

Go to solution

My ethernet ports are not working properly, after trying to set up the WholeHome - can't work out why but that is the nub of the problem. Thanks for the tip about the factory reset, 'smf22'.

0 Ratings
trapdoor
Expert
Message 17 of 47

Go to solution

@Extankerman wrote:

My ethernet ports are not working properly, after trying to set up the WholeHome - can't work out why but that is the nub of the problem. Thanks for the tip about the factory reset, 'smf22'.

Connnect to the hub and set a static IP address on the client machine outside the range of the DHCP served addresses - this should get you over the issue and the fact your ports may appear not to be working could be that the SmartHub is dishing out duplicate addresses, even perhaps the WholeHome is also dishing out its own addresses (had this with a TP Link RE355 WiFi extender which even set to DHCP Auto was duplicating addresses already allocated).

The SmartHub can take an absolute age after rebooting, to serve its management interface. My personal preference would be to bin the SmartHub as it is just riddled with issues, but if you can get the thing to work, having the WholeHome AP in-lieu of the SmartHub WiFi may circumvent some of the big problems.

0 Ratings
Zippy2
Beginner
Message 18 of 47

Go to solution

Having seen this discussion I was pretty nervous that the BT Whole home WIFI I've just received would cause me even more issues rather than giving me what I wanted. However my initial use (first 24hrs) has been really positive. I'm not a IT pro, just needed good consistent coverage throughout our reasonable sized older home with thick walls!

So given the problems encountered above I ensured all the devices in the house had left (and forgotten) the BT Home Smart Hub (in default configuration), and also disconnected a WD NAS drive connected to it. I then got the WHWi-Fi set up using the BT app (that was initially hard to find on the app store), went though connecting my devices, followed by the ethernet NAS.  

This has given us 50MB/s throughout the home, allowed UHD TV downloads, seems better with sky Q than the BT Home Smart Hub. So far so good, and thanks for the OP for highlighting the system wasn't robust to their set-up, i ensured we started with a clean sheet, as it may have done the same with ours.

I went for the Whole Home Wi-Fi set up as the power line extender (BT home hotspot 600 kit) wasn't working reliably for me after a while and when they did, having to manually switch between two networks was annoying. 

Good luck in getting yours working and hoping mine stays like this!!!!

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 19 of 47

Go to solution

@Extankerman I'm really sorry about the problems you've had with your Smart Hub and Whole home wifi, I've checked and this is a known problem. Please can you give the helpdesk a call on 0808 100 6116 and they will be able to fix this for you. Post back and let us know how you get on. 

0 Ratings
Extankerman
Contributor
Message 20 of 47

Go to solution

Thanks for your intervention, @NeilO. I have called the number and although the gentleman I spoke to was not aware of the issue, he asked around and discovered there was, indeed, a fix. There is a SmartHub upgrade request that can be made and will involve a reboot of my Hub, when the request has been processed. Sadly, I have to go off to work soon but will try to get this done this evening or tomorrow morning and report back further.

0 Ratings