Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Extankerman
Contributor
Message 31 of 47

Re: Smart Hub & Whole Home WiFi

Go to solution

Well, still not quite there! All devices connected to the WholeHome WiFi now work OK, with the exception of the BeoPlay A6 wireless speaker, which does not like to connect to the WholeHome WiFi and often drops the connection. I recently changed to a new SmartHub, which those nice people at BT sent me before Christmas, in attempt to solve the other problems that I was experiencing. This was a last resort to fix the A6 problem, as everything else had sorted itself out by the time I returned from my Christmas break.

The new Hub gives a slightly stronger signal than the previous one but otherwise, the connectivity issue, with the A6, via the WholeHome WiFi, remains.

I wonder if anyone reading this has tried to AirPlay through the setup that I have (SmartHub with Wireless off, connected to WholeHome system) and in particular, if they are doing so using a Bang & Olufsen product.

0 Ratings
norrisr4
Beginner
Message 32 of 47

Go to solution

I can confirm that you can ceiling mount these discs... the whole is under the removal passcode card.

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 33 of 47

Go to solution

@prinknash writes:

> "I was a bit surprised to see the Mods placing an 'ad' for Whole Home WiFi in this forum despite having separately acknowledged the problems with it and given the reports coming through"

The advertising role here is a bit surprising, I agree, but what concerns me much more is something really dangerous for BT and for its customers:  that BT is lining itself up for a colossal mountain of pain and cost by getting into the end-user equipment game.  There is no need for it, at all.  It's plain sailing all the way to the bank by expressly avoiding that, and simply providing connectivity for all 3rd parties.

The end-user equipment game is all about compatibility and staying in the lead with ever-changing standards and providing a vast amount of flexility to interface to other home gear, none of which BT can do well --- it's just too large an organization to be nimble.  This isn't a condemnation but a blessing, because it provides stability.  In contrast, the end-user equipment scene is the exact opposite of stable, and there is no way that BT can be competitive in it because of its size and its (understandable) aversion to risk.

But there's even worse ahead because homes vary so much:  the need for flexibility is the exact opposite of what BT is attempting to do, namely dumbing down equipment to the point of zero flexibility.  Those two goals cannot be reconciled, and so BT is in for an eternity of support problems as long as it stays on this path.  And guess what that means?  Support is expensive, and so this means that we all end up paying for it and so BT's market is reduced as its costs rise.  This is good for nobody.

Let the 3rd parties fight it out in the end-user equipment space.  Let all the pain and costs of support fall on them, while prices for end users will always fall owing to competition.  That would be an easy game for BT to play, and it could even gain direct income from it by providing "featured advertising" for companies that work to spec and ranking them by price.  It would be win, win, win for BT.

In contrast, it's currently on the road to lose, lose, lose.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 47

Go to solution

I cannot see that comment, but the moderators have to publish what they are told from above, whether they agree with it or not.

@MorgaineD

Supporting end user addons is no easy task, and a lot of times they rely on this forum to sort things out.

BT first ventured into this area with the Home Hub 1, and the now discontinued BT Broadband Talk and hub phones.

Broadband voice did exist with the BT Voyager range of routers.

The idea was to have a central home hub to connect everything to it. Most of the time everything worked fine because people just used PCs, there were no proper smartphones until BT started selling the HTC S620 and HTC710 with special BT software to work with BBT.

Those were fun days, trying to get it all to work, as a few of the longstanding forum members will remember.

The HH1 and 1.5 were not exactly aesthetically pleasing but worked well with the external wireless aerials.

I wonder how many people remember the BT Fusion phones, they were a disaster?

Then the designers moved in, to make things look better in a domestic environment, that is when things started to go downhill in my opinion.

Whole Home Wifi is an attempt to fix the limitations of the home hub. A good 3rd party router with multiple external aerials, and perhaps a single additional wireless access point located at a particular wireless blackspot, should be fine for most people.

If mesh systems were so good, then why do commercial wifi systems connect each access point with an Ethernet cable?

Still, its a good money spinner for BT Retail Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 47

Go to solution
Looking at this link http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/06/hacker_backdoors_linksys_netgear_cisco_and_other_routers/

it does not look like third parties are doing very well to me
0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 36 of 47

Go to solution

Indeed @john46. And while that story is from a couple of years ago, things have only gotten only worse on the security front since then, seemingly worse every year as the attackers ramp up their focus.

BT should stay well clear of the area, it's tailor-made for pain.

0 Ratings
Extankerman
Contributor
Message 37 of 47

Go to solution

Thank you all for contributing to this thread. As far as I am concerned, the matter is now at an end - but not in BT's favour. 

The main, remaining gripe was that my BeoPlay A6 wireless speaker would not stay connected to the WholeHome or SmartHub (although, it was OK with the latter, when enabled, before the WholeHome came into my life). I have been conducting an email exchange with BeoCare, who have been very helpful and their final suggestion was that I should return the A6, as it sounded as though it could be a hardware problem. My B&O dealer, though, has little good to say about BT routers, etc, saying that the router is almost always to blame in cases of problems with AirPlay.

As a final act, before returning the A6 (although, I really didnt believe it was faulty), I restarted the Wireless network from my Apple Time Capsule, connected it to the SmartHub, via ethernet and borrowed a friend's Airport Express. I disabled all other networks and used the SmartHub, essentially, as a Modem. All my devices connected seamlessly to the network and the A6 has been playing constantly and reliably ever since; also, even though, at the moment, I am extending my network with just one Airport Express, there is little or no signal drop-off throughout that part of the house that was served by three WholeHome discs. Old technology seems to have solved the problem.

My WholeHome discs are back in their box and will be going back to BT on Monday.

I shall leave this thread open for a day or so, for any comments and then call it a day.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 47

Go to solution

Another case for keeping it simple. A single good wireless source, and possible an extra access point for any dead spots.

Its worked that way for years, so why complicate things?

MorgaineD
Expert
Message 39 of 47

Go to solution
Agree with Keith.

One's domestic wifi shouldn't really be dependent on an ISP's provisioning choices at all, they should merely be used to carry the traffic from your site which you aggregate as you see fit, independent from Internet provisioning.
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 40 of 47

Go to solution
Mesh based WiFi networks are not going to deliver the same bandwidth as a fully wired AP solution as they need some channels for the back haul.

But what when you can't get a wire to an AP. In a large warehouse for example. Or to the trucks in an open mine. This is where mesh networks come unto their own.

Vendors such as Eero, Google, Ubiquiti and BT are now seeing a home in the same way. How many people come to this forum and say they don't want to run wires around the house? The advice has always been to use some form of power-line extender.

In the future I think the advice will be to use a mesh based WiFi solution. At this stage they're new in the consumer world so have limitations. But like most technology, it will get there.
0 Ratings