cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Smart Hub, how to disable admin password override?

On the new Smart Hub, if you go to the advanced settings and you don't have the admin password, you get a help button displayed.

clicking this button firstly displays your password hint which is fine, however if you click the right arrow the page helpfully takes you to a page where you can recover your admin password without changing any other settings (i.e. It doesn't do a factory reset). To do this, you need to enter the deaf adult wireless key and the default admin password. You then simply type in your new admin password of choice and no-one is aware that there have been any changes. Even more helpfully, the page tells you exactly where to find these details located on the Hub itself.

for those of you with teenagers determined to bypass the parental controls, all they need to do is take a photo on their phone of the defaults, login into the Hub home page and they can change the password at will from their phone.

being teenagers, they can do this from their bed at 1am when everyone else is asleep, and I'm not aware until the next time I try to login and make some changes . This isn't something I want to do several times a day 😞

is there a way way to disable the functionality?

I have no problem leaving the factory reset option in place as they would change the SSID and all wireless devices would stop working immediately and everyone would be aware.

if not, it looks like there's a smart Hub going to be sold and a new router/modem purchased 😞

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Smart Hub, how to disable admin password override?

Just remove the home hub and lock it away when you go to bed Smiley Wink

You may find the isuues with other routers.

You could use the netwotk based Parental Controls, and make the period from when you go to bed, until morning, a "homework" period. That restricts access to many sites, and cannot be bypassed unless they have your BT ID ans password, which you need to keep secure.

ou can do it via BT Parental controls which you activate via MyBT.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46768/~/bt-parental-controls---how-to...-guide

You can set a "homework" period.

Add additional filters for homework time:

1. Log in to My BT with your BT ID
  2. Scroll down to the 'My Extras' section and click Personalise your settings in the 'Parental Controls' panel
  3. Select Manage Settings under BT Parental Controls and choose the Set filter times tab

Parental Controls

You could also activate parental controls during the night only, and set it to block everything that is not on a "whitelist". Just add a single site like the BBC to the whitelist.

Outside of these times you could disable parental controls.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Unfortunately hiding the hub isn't possible as it needs to live close to the BT master socket, although I did think about it 😄

The other routers I've used in the past only permit a factory reset by pushing a paper clip or similar into the small hole on the device. The Smart hub allows you to push the large WPS button on the side for 10 seconds and you then have two minutes to type in the original wifi key and password.

An override feature is useful, but it needs to be more secure. Ideally allow the admin to enter a verification email address when they first set-up the smart hub, and then the override feature then sends a link that you need to click on before the password can be reset.

Unfortunately the network based parental controls aren't much help, as they appear to apply to every connected device, and not just specific devices that we wish to limit.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

@JohnStewart wrote:

Unfortunately the network based parental controls aren't much help, as they appear to apply to every connected device, and not just specific devices that we wish to limit.

But you only need to enable them from late evening, say 2300, to 0700, unless you need unrestricted access during that time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

I understand that, but unfortunately it wouldn't work for us due to shift working.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Hi @JohnStewart,

My only suggestion here would be to remove the 'default settings' sticker from the Hub 6. I did this on install, but i appreciate that if it's been out for a while they may have already photographed it (in which case I can't think of anything other than swapping it for a new Hub).

I think BT should make it clearer that this feature exists, so people know to remove the sticker if they need to.

Cheers,

Joe

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Thanks for the suggestion Joe, but the details have already been copied. Pity it isn't possible to change them!

Someone at work has suggested editing the hosts file on the PC to redirect the bt home hub page to somewhere else, but that wouldn't help when the password is changed from a phone.

Since had a long chat about rights and wrongs and we have an agreement that the password won't be changed again in the future without severe consequences 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Take a photo of the label then Sharpie it over in black, or find a way to remove it completely.

Very low-tech but possibly the only solution as I don't think there's a tech method.

I used a Sharpie on the HH6 when I discovered BT has now "helpfully" printed the username and password on the *back* of the slide out tab (as well as inside) and as our hub has to sit near the window it could be visible to anyone outside. Quite why they thought that was a good idea is anyone's guess (and yes I know the default password shoulds be changed, but many don't).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Parental controls don't have to apply to every device, they can be set for individual devices.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Thanks Andy, we already have parental controls set-up for around 8 of the 20+ devices connected, and it is just the ones for our teenagers that need to be limited.

Unfortunately, they found the way of resetting the admin password without changing any of the other settings (i.e. so no-one is aware anything has changed), logged in and switched off the parental controls.
0 Ratings