Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pete1960
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Smart Hub installation problem

Go to solution

Background: I've had Infinity for over a year - working really well.  I decided to upgrade my hub (model 4a I think) to a Smart Hub.  Tonight I tried to install it and failed to get the broadband connected.  BT Service Desk have ordered a replacement, but I'm not at all convinced the problem is with the hub.  Here's why ...

The existing cabling consists of a master socket and filter, a DSL cable from the filter to a "small white box installed by Infinity engineer" and a standard Ethernet cable from the small white box to the Home Hub.  It's worked fine since it was installed.

BUT ... the Smart Hub hasn't got a Broadband Ethernet port.  It can only be connected using a DSL cable.  As far as I can see, there is NO WAY to connect it via the small white box.  When I connected it directly to the filter, it provided broadband but at a tiny speed - so not serviceable.

I'm pretty sure the replacement Smart Hub 6 won't fix the problem.  The included documentation doesn't tell me how to connect and I can't find anything in the "help" material.

Any experts out there?  Or somebody who's solved this already?

Here's hoping

Pete

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Smart Hub installation problem

Go to solution

You cannot use the modem (white box) with the new hh6. 

You take the cable which goes from filter to modem and disconnect from modem and connect to dslchecker socket in hub -  so connection is socket to filter to hh6. Plug and play

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

you now use the DSL lead to your phone socket you no longer need the Openreach modem (small white box )the smart hub has its own inbuilt fibre modem the connection instructions are shown at the bottom left of the booklet sent out with the hub if your socket looks like this jusjst connect the DSL lead to the top socket it does not need a filter if your socket looks like this then it does need a filter

infinity socket.jpgTest Socket.jpg

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
pippincp
Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I wonder how long before the OP goes back to the modem + HH4?

0 Ratings