cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
handside
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Smart Hub - separate bands problem

BT - In a future firmware upgrade on the Smart Hub 6 can you stop forcing the 5GHz band to be suffixed with '-5'? I want seperate bands but it will force me to change all my devices as all my previous CPEs have allowed any SSID.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Smart Hub - separate bands problem

Welcome to this user forum.

This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.
Everyone posting here, are just BT customers like myself

The suffix was introduced to avoid problems with dual band devices.

You could use a home hub 5, or a third party router instead.

0 Ratings
handside
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Thanks Keith. I want to use the Smart Hub for its improved wifi capabilities rather than switching back to a 5. I'm finding most devices are using the 2.4GHz band so wanted to have separate SSIDs for 2.5 and 5 but without the '-5' restriction. Nevermind.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Have you noticed any difference in the wireless coverage, as they both have the same wireless power output?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Have you noticed any difference in the wireless coverage, as they both have the same wireless power output?

maybe another good HH6 like mine  thumbs up smiley.gif

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

@imjolly wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

There may be a few out there, but I suspect there are a lot of faulty ones, judging by the mumber BT seem to send out as replacements. I suppose its cheaper than factory testing each one.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@imjolly wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

There may be a few out there, but I suspect there are a lot of faulty ones, judging by the mumber BT seem to send out as replacements. I suppose its cheaper than factory testing each one.

But also with the number that are in circulation there must be a lot of good ones otherwise there would be far more posts on the forum and even more in the press.  as always only people with problems with the HH6 post here and the people who have a HH6 that works well don't post saying how good it is. - and as I keep saying compared to a quality tplink VR2600 with 4 external aerials the wireless coverage is very similar in my home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
handside
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

the lower frequency (2.4) travels through walls better so when approaching the house from the street my devices pick up the 2.4 first and stick to it once inside the house. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

@handside wrote:

the lower frequency (2.4) travels through walls better so when approaching the house from the street my devices pick up the 2.4 first and stick to it once inside the house. 

Was the 2.4G better with the HH6, than the HH5 you were using before?

0 Ratings
handside
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

yes but still not as good as the 5ghz with a good signal, i.e. line of sight to the HH

0 Ratings