cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Martingchapman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Smart Hub wifi ok but does not give out ip address on ethernet

Every now and again I fire up my desktop (connected to Smart Hub by ethernet) only to find there is no internet access.

I run ipconfig and find the desktop ethernet ip address starts with 169.XX. etc

However, two laptops connected via wifi to the same Smart Hub have local network ip addresses (192.168.etc) and can access the internet just fine.

If I disable wifi on one laptop and connect it via ethernet cable to the Smart Hub then the ethernet ip address again starts with 169.xx etc and there is no internet access.

This suggests the Smart Hub is not giving out ip addresses over its ethernet ports.

If I restart the Smart Hub then the desktop and laptop both start to work fine over ethernet for a while, until it happens again.

Anyone have a similar experience and an idea of how to solve it when it happens without resetting the Smart Hub or, better still, stop it happening at all.

Thanks - Martin.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Smart Hub wifi ok but does not give out ip address on ethernet

There are many such posts on the forum
0 Ratings
Martingchapman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Thanks,

I did try a search but could not find anything, must have used the wrong search parameters.

Are there any solutions?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Buy a proper router?

0 Ratings
Martingchapman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Thaks Liquorice,

However your replies are somewhat unhelpful, a bit dissapointing from a forum "Distinguished Guru".

Anyone else have any helpful suggestions?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

As a 'Distinguished Guru' it gets rather tedious making the same replies to everybody that hasn't taken the effort to read through the forum first. A cursory glance will reveal that there are numerous problems with the new hub including DHCP problems. They have either been fixed by updated firmware or replacing the hub. There is nothing the user can do if the hub is not working as it should. Contact customer services and ask for a replacement, or better still, ditch the hub and buy a decent third party router that doesn't get broken every time BT update the firmware.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

@Martingchapman wrote:

Thaks Liquorice,

However your replies are somewhat unhelpful, a bit dissapointing from a forum "Distinguished Guru".

You don't need to disable wireless on that device when connecting via ethernet.

What happens if you leave wireless on?

There's a host of information on Microsoft's help pages on this topic, most of which is very confusing/useless.

However, most comments make a point that the connections can co exist, and some say that it's a requirement, on models using specific drivers.

You must keep your wireless firewall active, though.

It's a bit of a muddle but if you get into deep water, then you can work your way to "change adaptor settings" from within Windows settings. There are some repair options.

Which Hub is it, which firmware version, Windows OS, etc, etc???

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

@Martingchapman wrote:

Thanks,

I did try a search but could not find anything, must have used the wrong search parameters.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Smart-Hub-won-t-give-out-IP-addresses-worth-gett...

0 Ratings
Martingchapman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@Martingchapman wrote:

Thanks,

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Smart-Hub-won-t-give-out-IP-addresses-worth-gett...

Keith,

Thanks for jumping in to help.

I did see this post but it is not exactly my problem, which is that the HH6 DHCP server stops servicing new requests on its Ethernet ports.

Devices already connected to Ethernet before the problem appears continue to have valid IP Adresses and work ok, and devices which connect via WiFi also get valid IP Addresses and work ok.

But thanks again for your help.

0 Ratings
Martingchapman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@Martingchapman wrote:

Thaks Liquorice,

You don't need to disable wireless on that device when connecting via ethernet.

What happens if you leave wireless on?

There's a host of information on Microsoft's help pages on this topic, most of which is very confusing/useless.

However, most comments make a point that the connections can co exist, and some say that it's a requirement, on models using specific drivers.

You must keep your wireless firewall active, though.

It's a bit of a muddle but if you get into deep water, then you can work your way to "change adaptor settings" from within Windows settings. There are some repair options.

Which Hub is it, which firmware version, Windows OS, etc, etc???

Ribblelancs,

Thank for your post.

I disabled the wireless connection on my laptop as a trial, to force it to connect via Ethernet. I wanted to prove that the HH6 DHCP server was only not servicing new requests on its Ethernet ports.

You are correct in that normally you can have Ethernet and Wireless connected together and it will work fine.

In answer to your questions;

Smart Hub (Home Hub 6)

Firmware: SG4B100021F4

Windows 10 Anniversary Update

In addition:

The only config changes I have made to the HH6 are to diasable Smart Setup and split the 2.4 and 5.0 wireless bands into separate networks.

I have the following devices all connected and working ok;

Ethernet;

Win 10 desktop

Sonus Hub (with 4 Sonos music players)

Synology Disk Station

Wireless;

2 x Win 10 Laptops

2 x Android Tablets

2 x Android Phones

Sky Q Silver plus 2 x Sky Q Mini Boxes

0 Ratings