cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

Smart Talk - IP port numbers

I am very impressed with the new Smart Talk apps for iOS and Android - thank you BT

Can anyone tell me the port numbers it uses as I would like to configure them in the QoS of my router to ensure good call quality.

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Smart Talk - IP port numbers

Apart from port 443 during setup, the traffic is on UDP port 20520.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Thank you
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

Hello Keith

I'm having to revisit the Smarttalk port number topic as my QoS configuration is not working using port 20520.

I established a call using smart talk and then asked my router to list all open sessions. Apart from traffic such as gmail push I was left with 3 open connections:

Port 5061 - Encrypted SIP
Port 25000 - unknown application
Port 25001 - unknown application

All three were to the same IP address, but there was no connection open to port 20520.

Is there any way to double check the ports used by Smarttalk - I cannot find any contacts for smart talk specific support?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

I have just looked again, made a call, and its now using port 7076, so it looks like the choice of port is a random selection, once the app is running. I made a few calls, and the all used 7076 source- destination 14520.

I suppose that is sensible, especially if there are a number of users connected to the same home hub.

So you are not going to do QOS by source/destination port, but you may be able to do it if your router supports QOS by device IP, provided you can make sure your phone always gets the same IP address.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Thanks Keith.

QoS based on IP address isn't going to help me as its running on iPhones which put quite a significant load on my internet connection through other applications and so I couldn't afford for them to also get priority.

Do you know how I can contact Smarttalk support - maybe they have a range of ports or more logic that I can use?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

There are no support contact numbers, and I doubt they would be able to help anyway.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

Well someone has written and released the apps on iPhone and Android so the knowledge has to be somewhere.

I'll keep trying other channels
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

That would be commercially sensitive, so I doubt you would extract any info.

I just used Wireshark to look at the data, purely for my own interest, so I could be confident it was secure.

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 10 of 11

Hi Brummygit,

I'll see what we can find out for you 🙂

Cheers

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings